cpu upgrade help

escesc579

Beta member
hi recently purchased a
INTEL CORE 2 DUO CPU 2.40GHz/2M/800 SLA94 Socket 775 Processor

and im having a bit of trouble when i installed the CPU and powered on my computer it powered on but no video output was going on no beebs or anything like that the heat sink fan wont work and the hard drive fan wont work the only fan that works is the power supply and so i don't know whats wrong with my machine when i return the old CPU back on it works again i even did a cmos reset on the board could it be the power supply its like a 370w power supply that came with the computer when i bought it the computer i have is a sony vgc-ra840g it had a pentium d processor and a intel 945 chip set please help me with this problem. ps when i turn on the computer with the new processor i cant turn it off just by holding the off button i have to pull the plug manually to turn it off.

If my google foo is correct, this is the board.
Asus p5lp-vx motherboard

Sony custom with no bios updates.
Since new cpu is not working, I would assume it is not supported by the board.
I could not find any cpu compatibility charts for that board.

Sorry.

i new this guy who had the same computer with a core 2 duo proccesor installed i think he said he had to install a custom bios how can i do that

Ask him what version of bios he installed.

You can look at the info for the board and try to find a similar setup from asus and try the most updated version.

Make a mistake, and your motherboard will be ruined.

Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport i945P
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (05/18/05)
Video Adapter ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (128 MB)

Motherboard 05/18/2005-LakePort-P5LP-VX-00
Motherboard 1001
Motherboard DMIMOBO: ASUSTek Computer INC. P5LP-VX
Motherboard DMISYS: Sony Corporation VGC-RA840G

From another thread talking about your computer. I would not necessarily trust that info and run cpuz as MMike recommended to confirm.

Then good luck finding a compatible bios to flash with.

My personal opinion on a computer of that age, put the old working cpu back in. Cut your losses and save for an upgraded computer if possible. Next time you can build and have better upgrade options in the future.

i new this guy who had the same computer with a core 2 duo proccesor installed i think he said he had to install a custom bios how can i do that

If that is the case, your bios should be removable with 2 finger nails.
Bout the bios, when I had my asus I had to get a new bios second hand.
There are amazon and ebay sellers that are legit about custom bioses.
Take some time and find out from asus technical suppport which bios model you need and run a search through ebay/amazon.

When I get back home soon and if you need help still I'll look for the info and see what is doable or not

Direct number for asus,
Make sure to have plenty of patience as you will be dealing with idiots on the other line who can't give out proper answers on the first call or 2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom