CPU temps out of control

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaackoran

In Runtime
I just installed my pentium D into my new motherboard. Its a intel badaxe rev304, and I installed a pentium d 940 into it.

When i turn the computer on the hardware monitor says cpu temps 67C and it rises up to like 75C before i just shut it off.

Ive uninstalled and reinstalled the stock intel heatsink about 4 times now, applying zalman thermal grease (this was not cheap stuff) properly.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this under control? The fan spins soundly, and ive checked to make sure that the retention screws are in properly...

Is it possible the voltage is put too high? I got this motherboard used, maybe the HW monitor is just wrong? I dont see any jumpers so it couldnt be something on the board...

any ideas might help.

the PD's do get hot. mine went up to about 80C. the intel heatsink sucks. ii bought the zalman CNPS9500 and now my PD idles at about 36C.

yeah thanks for the suggestions... ill probably get an arctic cooler or a zalman... I did touch the heatsink...it was hot but not that hot...whether or not that is an indication of how hot the cpu is...

It isnt wire management or lack or airflow.. ive got a lian li 1000 case, and the ambient is actually below room temp (18C)

The weird thing is that the thing was at 37C ambient before...on the other mobo.

Ill try one more time, get a new cooler, and update the post.

oh one more question...how long and at how high can this processor run before i should worry about it exploding? Ive seen some horrific youtube vids...

ok i just installed a zalman cnps7700b alcu

no difference, started at lower temps however... about 61 degrees C then rose to 77C and i turned it off. I immediately touched the fins...barely above room temperature.. the heatsink was mildly warm.

I guess this means ive got a bad sensor. Does this affect anything worth noting? Thinks its safe to start installing windows? I mean the thing said 77C but the fins were barely warm...

Just a little tip, if it feels 'hot but not that hot' it is pretty safe to say it's not above 50 degrees as that is the average pain threshold of a human. That's why people ask you to touch your hs / drives / chips etc., to get a live test of whether something is too hot rather than to rely on sheisty sensors...

As you have noticed yourself, installing the Zalman makes a lot of difference. Meaning that is indeed your sensor. But really, if something feels cool enough, and runs stably enough, there's nothing to worry.

Are you using a sensor on your motherboard or anything else? I think I've read that the sensor for your motherboard is placed somewhere around the northbridge which would explain why installing a new heatsink on the cpu would make no difference to the sensed temperature...

yeah its just the mobo sensor. probably defective i guess. Is it possible everest would give a more accurate reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom