CPU temperature question

bL4cKh4T

Baseband Member
My CPU temp under a load runs between 172f and 175f and I know that's a bit high but I'm about to order a custom heatsink with fan, what do you think about this one? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835103218
another question is that is it ok to run it being that the temp is that high just until I find another heatsink and fan to order? my cpu fan is going out, the ball bearing is wearing out so when i turn it on, it makes a loud noise for a few mins and stops, could that affect the temp at all? also, when i exit a game, the temp doesn't go down, right now, my cpu load is 2 % and still at 172f so that tells me that's probably the "normal" temp it stays at so I need something better to cool my processor. I have really good ventilation inside so i know that's not an issue. thanks for your help

I'm assuming you're running stock heatsink? What CPU are you running?

Hyper 212 is a pretty good air cooler from what I've seen.

You're usually safe up to the shutoff point (95 to 100C for most chips), but of course running it hot isn't that good for it. If your CPU isn't cooling down even at idle or minimal usage...then you may have other problems. What's your ambient room temp? What about the ambient temp in the case? What airflow setup do you have (i.e. how many fans pulling air in vs how many pushing air out, and where are they located)? What GPU do you have - and is it dumping air in the case or out of the back of the case?

I'm assuming you're running stock heatsink? What CPU are you running?

Hyper 212 is a pretty good air cooler from what I've seen.

You're usually safe up to the shutoff point (95 to 100C for most chips), but of course running it hot isn't that good for it. If your CPU isn't cooling down even at idle or minimal usage...then you may have other problems. What's your ambient room temp? What about the ambient temp in the case? What airflow setup do you have (i.e. how many fans pulling air in vs how many pushing air out, and where are they located)? What GPU do you have - and is it dumping air in the case or out of the back of the case?

yea, i have a stock heatsink and the cpu is an amd fx-6300. it wasn't cooling down at first but i'm using an app called CAM to check my temps and when it idles, it stays between 160 and 170 which isn't much cooler and under a load, when I was playing Doom 2016, it only jumped up to 175 at max but it fluctuated from 172 to 175 when I was playing that game but sometimes it does idle high, like now, it's idling at 172 -174 but sometimes it gets lower. i just noticed it when my cpu fan started messing up, not saying that's the problem, i just started noticing it then. i have central heat and air so it usually stays cool in my house, around 70-75. as far as fans go, i have a 120 mm case fan in the back of the PC that's pulling air out, a 120 mm on the side panel that's blowing air into it to cool the parts, i have a smaller fan in the front that's blowing air in towards the back and my cables are organized. i ran them through the other side panel behind my motherboard and zip tied them so i can get better airflow inside. the GPU is an nvidia geforce gtx 1060 and the fans rarely run. they only run when the card has some kind of load on it or gets to a certain temp. my gpu is running at 106 right now which is really good so the fans on it aren't running. i'm about to re-apply better thermal glue. i'm going to use arctic silver 5 this time, that might help it cool a few degrees. since my cpu fan is going out, it's been making really loud noises when i first turn it on for a few mins then stops, could that have anything to do with the high temps? also, is it normal when the computer is idling for the cpu fan to slow down to 300 rpms? i noticed on that program that it slows down and the idle temp jumps up to 172 then when it decided to go fast (2000 rpms), the temp drops in the 160's. what got me thinking about the temp is that when I was playing metal gear solid V, i had everything on max settings and my computer just turned off out of nowhere so when i started checking the temp, it got over 200 degrees!!! that's when I installed the side panel fan to cool things off and it's been 174 max. it never has done that before until the cpu fan started messing up. one more question, is it better for the cpu fan to blow on the heatsink or to blow away from it so it can suck the heat out? right now, mine is blowing away from the heatsink. thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Side note: you should give PC temps in *C rather than *F. Most PC stuff is all measured in metric (fan sizes, temps, etc.).

I would definitely recommend at a minimum reapplying thermal compound. You can usually pick some up at a nearby electronic store if they have some. Order the new heatsink/fan and check locally for some thermal compound and replace that to see if that is at least a stopgap solution for you until the cooler is delivered.

As for orientation - since it's the stock heatsink, whatever orientation it came in. For aftermarket, tower-style heatsinks (like the 212), you'll want the fan blowing air across/through the fins.

Side note: you should give PC temps in *C rather than *F. Most PC stuff is all measured in metric (fan sizes, temps, etc.).

I would definitely recommend at a minimum reapplying thermal compound. You can usually pick some up at a nearby electronic store if they have some. Order the new heatsink/fan and check locally for some thermal compound and replace that to see if that is at least a stopgap solution for you until the cooler is delivered.

As for orientation - since it's the stock heatsink, whatever orientation it came in. For aftermarket, tower-style heatsinks (like the 212), you'll want the fan blowing air across/through the fins.

good to know about the temps. i'm not used to celcius and always finding myself seeing what it is in F but that's cool. so i bought the 212 on newegg and i should be getting it in 3 days and when i looked at the post, i must have looked over it when i bought it but it has a 4 pin connector and my motherboard for the cpu fan is a 3 pin so i found a 4 pin to 3 pin converter and i read that it'll work but it just won't have the pwm functions which i had to look up what that is and it doesn't sound like a big deal but i just want to ask on here to make sure that'll work because i don't want to send it back because it's what i want

a 4pin fan will connect directly to a 3pin header and the other way around. The board will just adjust fan speed by voltage instead.

If your CPU is hitting 80c you should stop using it until the new heatsink comes in.

oh ok, that's good to know about the pins but my board is actually a 4 pin, i didn't see the other pin until i got really close to it, i just assumed it was a 3 pin because the fan that was connected to it was a 3. thanks for the help though. I just got finished installing it and my cpu temp at idle speed is between 15 and 18 C now. i haven't put it under a load yet but i can't imagine it being much higher. that's when the fan is running at less than a thousand RPM's also, i can adjust that if i want but it's perfect the way it is.

What software are you using to monitor temps, because unless you dropped some ice on your heatsink or you're keeping your room below 60f that read out is going to be wrong. Not to mention, even water has a hard time keeping a chip at ambient.

What software are you using to monitor temps, because unless you dropped some ice on your heatsink or you're keeping your room below 60f that read out is going to be wrong. Not to mention, even water has a hard time keeping a chip at ambient.

i'm using CAM to monitor my temps. after i let it sit for a bit, now it idles at around 20-23 C as far as what this app says and playing fallout 4 on max settings, it reached 32 but only for a minute, it was usually lower than that. i usually keep the temp in my room around normal temps, not to cold and not to hot

EDIT: I opened speedfan to check the temp of the CPU and it said 23 degrees also

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom