cpu temp/rebooting sorted?!? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default cpu temp/rebooting sorted?!?

Hi I thought I' just post so if anybody else has this problem that it might help someone out. I posted about a week ago about my computer randomly rebooting and with the excellent advice from this forum I narrowed it down, I think, to the USB PS2 converter/pad I had plugged in on the USB2.0 socket on the back of my machine. I got an extra 1gb ddr400 pc3200 and installed it and my computer kept rebooting. I checked each stick of memory seperatly and all seemed OK. I then installed a mother board momitor and it seemed that my computer was overheating, so I took the fan and heat sink off and gave them a good clean. In the mean time I had unplugged the converter/pad to narrow down problems, as this is new aswell. My computer seemed to work fine with an idle temp of 47-50c and a gameplaying temp of 60-63c. I then plugged back in the converter/pad and within 10 minutes of playing Splinter Cell it rebooted. I unplugged it again and the computer seems fine!! What I think the problem is, is either a faulty USB socket or some kind of conflict, maybe with the new memory and the socket. I know the converter/pad is OK because I can plug it in the front and all is well. If anybody knows different I would be grateful to hear from you. Anyway I hope this helps somebody. Many thanks to all the people that posted, you have been a great help. I shall keep posting on this site and passing on my wisdom. LOL Long live Tech Forums!!!!!!

Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde
Old 01-08-2006, 01:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Memberbot

I do remember your original thread. Thats great that you sorted that out

I think you may have a faulty USB slot on your hands, or just some weird Windows anomoly

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 01-08-2006, 03:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

even a motherboard anomaly. sometimes you just get little ****** things happening that shouldn't really happen but still do and you just have to live with it.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I guess it's just one of those things. I can live with a faulty USB slot and if I ever need to use it I can always invest in a USB hub and plug it in to a working one. This forum is the best tech forum I've visited and I shall keep on posting and trying to help others. Once again many thanks.

Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde
Old 01-08-2006, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

one day the answer will probably just strike you even though it seems impossible to determine now.
Closed Thread