CPU Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metr01973

Daemon Poster
Hi, I posted a few days ago after I installed 1gb of new memory and the computer kept rebooting after a few hours. After testing the memory and finding no faults I installed a motherboard monitor (I know I should have had one installed already) and the CPU Temp threshold is set at 70c. What I have found is that the computer is overheating and tripping the alarm instead of rebooting, which leads me on to my question - can I set the cpu temp threshold higher than 70c or is this the limit without frying my cpu? Any help would be grateful.

It shouldnt be getting that hot. I would a) Unoverclock your CPU b) Get better cooling so that you can keep your overclock.

Setting your alarm to a higher threshold isnt gonna fix anything.

Thanks, I should of corrected my sig, my machine isn't overclocked now I have a fan on the power supply, 1 on the graphics card, 1 on the case and 1 on the processor. I bought my machine so I'm going to contact the manafactuer and see what he has to say. I'm sure it shouldn't be that hot. It only crashes when I introduce the extra 1gb of memory, if I unplug the extra memory and run it with the original memory it seems to work fine. It also seems to crash alot when I play games, I assume that's because it's running at full tilt. Can anybody could reccomened a decent fan for the processor or some way of cooling it down? Many thanks.

Thanks it looks like just what I need. I've just been doing some research on the internet and it seems that the intel pentium 4 prescott does run at high temps. I still think that an idle temp of 58-59c is still to high though. Think I'm going to get that fan for safteys sake, don't want to fry my cpu!!

The_Tobes99 said:
the prescott runs high like that because of the higher clock speed

Nah, its because of more transistors.

What you shouldnt do is overclock. If you are having heat issues in the first place dont even think about overclocking. Also you should make sure your HSF is correctly seated and thermal compound is applied correctly, you only need around the size of a ricegrain.

Sorry to sound stupid but what is a HSF (is it heat sink fan?) and where is the thermal compound so I can see if it's applied correctly. My machine is about 6 months old so it's still within the manufactuers warranty, I have contacted them but still no reply but it is a holiday today in the UK. Thanks in advance

hsf is heatsink fan. The thermal compound is put on the bottom of the heatsink next to the motherboard, the Heatsink Fan sandwiches the CPU like this:
___________Heatsink
___________Thermal Compound
___________CPU
___________Socket and Motherboard

The thermal compound should be a paste which has thinly spread itself across the cpu. You see thermal compound is essential but if you put more than a rice grain it degrades temperatures as the most efficient when it is set in a very thin layer.

Also it could be a thermal pad rather than thermal paste. A thermal pad is stuck to the bottom of the heatsink and is not a paste.

I've just taken the fan and heatsink off to have a look and there is thermal paste on the processor. There is a thin layer over it but it dosent cover the whole processor, it seems to be patchy and there is a gathering at the outer edges like it's been squezzed and the excess has built up around the edges. Is this alright? I also gave the heatsink and fan a good dusting but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I've got the side off with a 14" ocelating fan blowing into the case at the moment. I'm going to try playing a game in a bit because that's what seems to be overheating it, I'll let you know how I get on. Temp at the moment just using the internet etc is 54c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom