CPU running hot with new fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenenbaum

In Runtime
I have a S1283, Q6600, G0 Stepping.

I recently bought a new fan for the CPU, a coolermaster case fan, hoping to get better temperatures.
I took off the heatsink and removed my existing arctic silver 5 and replaced it with tx-2.
I've set my FSB to 333 and opened CPU-Z and it is saying that my FSB is running at 333, but my core clock is at 2000MHZ.

Its running pretty hot for idle temperatures, it was running at a stable 40C before I OC'd. (Before I changed the thermal paste, cleared out dust, and changed the fan it ran at a stable 40C at 3GHZ at idle) (This thing has hit 55C)

Do I need to buy a fan controller for it? (Its only running at 1700RPM)
This is what I bought (Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20AC-GP 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Case Fans)

Thanks!

Edit: I am running Windows 7.
Edit2: For those who are thinking about the TX-2 and how I applied it...I removed the Arctic Silver 5 with Newegg.com - Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier - Thermal Compound / Grease...
And then I applied a half-pea to a pea sized of TX-2 to the top of the CPU and smoothed it out the best I could with a plastic bag.
It was pretty even all-around, so I'm not sure, I could always reapply it if you think I should.
Also, the heatsink is on there pretty good, so I'm not worried about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom