CPU running at half speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerZero

Baseband Member
We just replaced the motherboard, RAM, CPU, and PSU in my parent's computer after it got fried during an electrical storm (which also fried my dad's work laptop, but that's another story).

Anyway, the processor we put in was an AMD Sempron rated for 1.66GHz; but according to the BIOS, it's running at only 900MHz. I checked the system hardware info in SuSE 9.1, and it says the processor's running at 902.43MHz (to be specific).

Any ideas as to why this might be, and how to fix it?

probaly cool N quite, when your not really using the proc, it downclocks it's self to save energy and keep cooler.

The FSB probably isn't set to where it should be since when you first put in a new CPU and mobo it defaults to like 100FSB until you manually set it for where it should be.

Find out what your FSB should be for that CPU and manually set it in the BIOS.

If it says your CPU is 266FSB then it should be set at 133, if it says 333 it should be set at 166, and 400 would = 200 however, I'd be surprised if yours was even 333/166 honestly.

Sometimes it's listed as 133 sometimes it's listed as 266 just realize that both numbers are essentially the same.

133 = 266
166 = 333
200 = 400

go to www.cpuid.com and download CPU-Z and post a screenshot of the first Tab, that could also help us help you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom