Cpu Problems please help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2006, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Cpu Problems please help!

I formatted my pc, loaded xp on..and all the drivers on the Asus disk, graphics etc...i recently bought Swat 4 gold off direct 2 drives...it installs fines..i go to play..it loads a little title screen up but nothing happens...i look at my cpu usage it says 100% with swat 4 gold taking up 94% ..im sure this cant be right?..ive uninstalled and reinstalled..swat 4 gold..and is still the same..im watching it now..while i install sp2..it goes 4%->35%->94% then back down ..is a pentium 4 2.26ghz..now it seems is always 80+ for one programme?..this cant be right?

Geforce 6600le
Asus P4B533
Legacy audio
Windows xp
Pentium 4 2.26ghz
2x dvd disk drives

Ive DL all the latest drivers for the cpu, everys fine..till i try to play a game it takes like 4-7mins to load..this neva happend b4 the format..

i was given this piece of advice :

"If you loaded all the Asus available drivers, this shouldn't be a problem -- but open the Device manager and expand the IDE ATA/Atapi branch. Look at the advanced tab on both the primary and secondary IDEs. Current transfer mode should be Ultra DMA 5 on the primary, and probably Ultra DMA 2 on the secondary. Neither should say "PIO"."

but this option is not present

please help!

Old 04-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

what exactly do you mean by cpu drivers?
considering the *advanced* tab aint available i assume you havnt installed the chipset driver http://aiedownload.intel.com/df-supp...nfinst_enu.exe
might wanna install drivers for those devices with the *yellow exclamation* , get the latest forceware 84.21 http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_84.21.html

check dma settings in bios its best to have it on auto
Closed Thread