CPU problem? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default CPU problem?

hi, my computer turns it self off now and then..it makes a big fan noise when its exhausted and then turns it self suddenly..and becomes dead..it doesn't turn back on straight away..i have to wait for like 10-20 min b4 i can turn it back on..it seems the longest i keep it off ...the longest i can keep it on...how can i fix this?

Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

could be cpu but I'd first test psu swap it out with another one (spare or from a friends pc). had a very similar problem on wifes pc psu was overheating

2x1 gig corsair xms
antec tpII 550
80 gig hitachi sata2
win xp pro sp2
Old 01-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Big fan noise? That sounds serious, especially if it's the CPU fan. I'm willing to bet your CPU is overheating and then shutting itsself off.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yeah cpu is probably shutting it self..and i can hear the fan go very loud..im in sydney..and it does get very hot here...but my brothers pc is fine..so how do i get this fixed? do i buy another fan or i heard bout thermal paste..whats that..and whats hsf?
Old 01-08-2006, 05:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

sounds like overheating. HSF= heatsink fan, the chunk of metal with the fan on your cpu. thermal paste sounds like a good solution. get some AS5 (Arctic Silver 5) paste it will probably cost you between $10-$20, take the heatsink off, clean off the residue from the old paste and google the directions for applying AS5. follow them exactly because deviation from the instructions can result in making the problem worse.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I can't remember who posted this but I don't think you're supposed to apply more than a rice size grain, the thinner the layer the better it works. Don't take my words as the holy grail but like nitestick said google for instructions on applying. Sounds like you might need a new fan also, try this link, it was reccomended to me.
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Peripherals/...H-PDU21-MF.htm

Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde
Old 01-08-2006, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

thats right metro, about a rice grain on the centre of the heat spreader in addition to filling the gaps on the HS with paste. any more than the instructions reccomend and it can have the opposite effect and be less effective at dissipating heat.

Closed Thread