CPU problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taz2006

Beta member
hi, my computer turns it self off now and then..it makes a big fan noise when its exhausted and then turns it self suddenly..and becomes dead..it doesn't turn back on straight away..i have to wait for like 10-20 min b4 i can turn it back on..it seems the longest i keep it off ...the longest i can keep it on...how can i fix this?

could be cpu but I'd first test psu swap it out with another one (spare or from a friends pc). had a very similar problem on wifes pc psu was overheating

Big fan noise? That sounds serious, especially if it's the CPU fan. I'm willing to bet your CPU is overheating and then shutting itsself off.

yeah cpu is probably shutting it self..and i can hear the fan go very loud..im in sydney..and it does get very hot here...but my brothers pc is fine..so how do i get this fixed? do i buy another fan or i heard bout thermal paste..whats that..and whats hsf?

sounds like overheating. HSF= heatsink fan, the chunk of metal with the fan on your cpu. thermal paste sounds like a good solution. get some AS5 (Arctic Silver 5) paste it will probably cost you between $10-$20, take the heatsink off, clean off the residue from the old paste and google the directions for applying AS5. follow them exactly because deviation from the instructions can result in making the problem worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom