CPU problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranthony

Beta member
Hey

I have had my compaq presario R3479EA for under a year and untill now its been fine (exept for the HD being totaled in the first week). Rentley i have been getting problems with what i believe to be the cause of a screwed CPU.

The computer will turn on and function perfectly and then when either burning cd's, gaming, downloading etc...it turns itself off without warning.

I have spoke to HP and they reckon its a problem with either the CPU or memory

Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this without me sendning off my comp?

it could be either the Ram or the PSU.. but make sure that you clean out your computer for dust(check all the heatsinks and fans when the comp is off).

(Note that if it is still under warranty DO NOT open your case and do any of this testing)

When your comp is open Make sure you wear latex gloves or something (or keep yourself grounded the entire time) as you could unintentionally shock your computer and kill it.

It is possible it's shutting down due to heat issues.

If you know enough about electronics.. next thing you'd want to do is test the PSU under load but.. for an average end user.. this can end up lighting you like a xmas tree if you do something wrong.

I highly doubt it's the processor.. When those go THEY GO.. comp won't even boot at all.. It could be the processor overheating due to poor heat dissipation (dust clogged heatsink etc)

I would run memtest86 on that memory. Have you checked to make sure that the CPU fan is functioning? Your CPU could be overheating. The PSU is easy to test if you can swap out a PSU from another puter, wether yours or a friends, and temporaily run you puter that way. You simply need to plug in the test PSU externall(outside the case). Pull the mobo power connector(s) carefully and all the hd and cdrom etc aux power connectors and repower them from the trial PSU. If all is good then your PSU is bad, otherwise it's memory or overheating cpu.

I had a problem like that once; as it turned out, the BIOS shut down temp was set too low so it turned my computer off whenever it was under a heavy load.

Dan

Almost solved

As the laptop kept turning itself off i figured its more likely to be casued by power supply.

I have taken the battery out and it is cutting out much less frequently....however it still has cut out!!

What's the best way to clear dust from laptops?

Re: Almost solved

Ranthony said:
As the laptop kept turning itself off i figured its more likely to be casued by power supply.

I have taken the battery out and it is cutting out much less frequently....however it still has cut out!!

What's the best way to clear dust from laptops?

without risking utter doom? a can of compressed air and hoping for the best.. Taking a laptop apart is like opening a can of worms.. Good luck getting that sucker back together if you ever think of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom