cpu pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partyraiser

Solid State Member
Hey all i just had the scariest moment of my life
i took out my heatsink to clean it and my amd athlon 64 3000+ s939,got ripped out of the socket stuck onto the heatsink,then i took the cpu of the heatsink and turned it over and looked at the pins a whole row of pins were bent,so i tried bending them back with my finger and credit card after a hour or so of stress i finally got it to fit back into the zif socket i turned pc on and everything seems to work ok.
my questions are will my cpu cause problems later on in future like
freezes/reboots/ect.. anything at all?
is my cpu still in perfect shape does it still have all its performance ect..

sorry for all the miss typed errors heh english isn't my native language.

I had that happen to mine. The grease was just GLUE to that processor. I bent about 2 pins, and it works fine. Just as long as you don't break any... Then you're up a creek. My friend broke 3 pins on his P4 3.0ghz and he was going to cry... I talked him into an AMD system.. :)

Ryan

Broken pins are fixable but just really hard to fix, you need a uber fine soldering iron (that isnt too hot) and uber steady hands. LGA775 makes that even harder.

ah ok cool made me feel better :D
was kinda scary tho more then 15 or so pins were bent about 45degree angle or so.
its back in the socket but when i look at them their still not completly straight they tilt a bit but i guess its fine
thanks for the reply's

You can use a mechanical pencil to straighten the pins.

Just take the lead out of the pencil, and use the barrel to fit around the pin and straighten it back up. Slow and steady is what is needed.

ok thx for the reply's guys ,so what you guys are saying is
my cpu is fine even tho it had 15bent pins cpu is still like it was brand new out of the box?
yeah pensil method is a good idea but i used finger/credit card allready :D

You can use a mechanical pencil to straighten the pins.

Just take the lead out of the pencil, and use the barrel to fit around the pin and straighten it back up. Slow and steady is what is needed.

That is a really good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom