CPU pin repair - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default CPU pin repair

I have a P4 with two pins missing rom the outside of the chip. Is it possible to solder replacements on, or will the heat from the iron damage the chip?

Old 05-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I think it would be MUCH too difficult to solder the pins back on. You have to be sure nothing is making a connection between any two pins, and the distance between the pins is much too small. Plus the fact that the heat might damage the chip. Pretty sure it's garbage now.

Would've been a chance if the pins were bent, but not even sweet Jesus himself can fix a CPU with broken pins.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

The pins are gold plated because signal transmission needs to be perfect but one pin that’s not might not hurt. I heard someone during this for a broken pin on a hard drive. Get a thumbtack and bust the pin off. Put the pin in the correct spot on the socket. So as when you put the processor in it will hit the stub where the pin broke off hopefully making contact. Now you’re probably going to want to find anything that fits the best and is the right length. You get the idea. I would not use this as a permanent solution but it beats paying $$$ on a new one.
By the way, how did you bust the pin off in the first place?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I think I'll try the thumbtack idea. I bought it off of ebay and the seller didn't descibe it completely. The two pins were missing when I recieved it, and the auction was a no return type, so he wins. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

ohh man. That sux. Hope you aren't out too much money. Could it have happend during shipping? or was it definatly seller BS?
Ubuntu - it\'s all about the bun\'s baby!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to FlashDude

Post a pic for us will ya? Are you sure it isn't the ones that are missing on purpose to help line up the cpu? (in the corner) probably not but worth a shot anyway. That's BS if it was discribed as a working cpu you can return it, If not then make sure to give him bad rep and report it to ebay. If you used paypal you can get your money back.

Do you have a link to the auction?
Old 05-15-2006, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Hear, Hear
Ubuntu - it\'s all about the bun\'s baby!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

it also depends on the pin number missing. Like said above, could be missing on purpose for alignment, or if thats not the case each pin will correspond to a function. One pin, for example, is for a certain memory address but for the most part, especially with two missing (again if not for alignment) you can try what was stated above, but youll probably wind up having to rpl it.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 05-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

It was only $40, and I did try dispute console, but he won.
My camera won't focus in that close, but the pins are to the right on the other side of the pins that are supposed to be missing. I'm getting a board for it in a couple of days so I will know if it needs to be repaired.

Closed Thread