CPU overheating - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default CPU overheating

Hi all!

I recently built a new PC (my first ) and have had it for about two weeks. I've been using it for games and never had any problems. However, I only just recently decided to check the cpu temps just to make sure everything is alright (I probably should have done this sooner). To my suprise, it says the temp for core 2 is running at over 80C at idle!!

I've tried using hw monitor and speed fan and both give me similar results. However, the bios temperature only reads 34C for the cpu.

I've tried reapplying thermal paste (arctic mx-3) but it doesn't help - that may be because I'm applying it wrong (I put a small bead in the center of the cpu and push the heat sink on top, however, I can'nt seem to fasten clasp without twisting it slightly)

I'm not sure if there's a faulty sensor, mechanical problem or something else Any help would be much appretiated.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: CPU overheating

What kind of system is it? An i5 or an i7 based PC?

If your answer to the i5 or i7 is yes then the temp reported in your bios is the temp of the cpu socket, not the actual cpu temp.

The heatsink needs to be fastened securely with all 4 of the clasps, twisting it slightly is ok.

Take the heatsink back off and look at the paste pattern left on the cpu and the base of the heatsink. Is the paste covering the whole cpu good? To much is bad, but too little is also bad.

Don't forget to plug the fan in.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the quick response!

The cpu is a phenomon 955.

I've tried reapplying the thermal past... the pattern left behind by the last time look good, it seemed to cover the chip well. However, it temps are still high. I'm worried it might be the mechanical connection and I'm doing something wrong, the heatsink doesn't seem to be getting very hot, at least to the touch.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Well I'm not an AMD expert, but if the bios is only showing (1) cpu temp then it still must be the scoket temp as the Phenom has more than (1) core temp to report.

Post a screenshot of HW Monitor so we can see all the details.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I had the same thought about the bios. I'm confuse why only one core would have such a high temp though...
Old 04-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Once again, I'm not an AMD expert, but isn't the 955 a quad core cpu? I'm thinking it should be reporting 4 different temperatures.

Is your mobo updated with the latest bios?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, the 955 is a quad core.

I was kind of confused about what the program is reporting too... this is the first time I've done anything like this... When you run these programs does it give you something different? The readings don't really make sense to me.

I haven't updated the bios for my motherboard, I'm actually kinda hesitant to do so b/c i am kind of new and don't want to screw it up. Do you think it will help?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

What motherboard do you have?
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Old 04-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The motherboard is a msi nf980-g65
Old 04-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

you can download cpuz and it will tell you what bios version you have.

it looks like the latest version should be 1.2

Closed Thread