CPU Over Voltage Error! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Default CPU Over Voltage Error!

Lately my PC has been resetting randomly when it shouldn't. While gaming sometimes he just shuts down and when he resets it first shows me a screen saying "CPU Over Voltage Error" and "Press F1 to continue/something like that". I've googled the issue and most people say it's due to a bad power source, and that I should buy another one. Is that the only solution or is there anything else I can do? I've also seen people changing some options in BIOS to make the problem go away, but I didn't wanna play around with that because I was afraid of breaking something.
The motherboard website I'll link below says that it has Anti-Surge Protection and that it's probably the reason the PC has been shutting down.
I guess my question is, can someone explain the BIOS way of fixing it step-by-step and if that's not possible can someone give me an alternative to buying another power source?

Specs:
Processor: AMD FX(tm) 6300 - 6 core, 3,5 Ghz
RAM: 8GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon R7 250 series
Motherboard: ASUSTeK M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3 (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78L-M-PLUS-USB3/)