CPU Multiplier Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

alk3trio

Beta member
Hi, I built my first computer two weeks ago now and have had 2 strange but somewhat(maybe) related things happen to me. Here is a rundown on my specs:

Intel Core2duo e6300
GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 mobo
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 ram
eVGA Geforce 7600GT
Coolmax 500w PSU
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD
SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Model SH-S182D

The first issue was a week ago, at the time I had speedfan and cpu-z installed as my only type of monitoring programs, I was watching my temps with speedfan and not doing anything particularly demanding at all since I had just got it hooked up and was downloading a variety of programs is all. I noticed the CPU temp jumped up to 72 degrees(probably hotter than that, since now I am running coretemp/intel TAT and they read 10ish degrees higher) and the CPU fan was at 0 rpm and also saw that the CPU multiplier cpu-z had listed was now 6x (stock is 7x) and the bus speed was also about 15-20ish MHz below normal. Well, being a newbie and as paranoid about my investment as I am I quickly hit the power button and let it sit for a minute. I logged into the bios and checked the cpu temps there and saw they were in the mid 40's so it seemed to confirm they got hot.

During the meantime I put it through a variety of different stress tests and checked my coretemp logs and have seen my CPU's hit 59 degrees celsius max and I am fine with that. I am planning on ordering a Tuniq tower soon and doing some air cooled overclocking so I am keeping track of normal operation in the meantime. After that episode it had ran fine until yesterday when I had another glitch.

I had just installed Oblivion and went through the process of creating a character and got about 3 minutes into the game when my computer just died. The computer was really my only indication of power in the room so I thought maybe the power went out, it was that kind of a crash. Well, I turned the thing right back on and opened up cpu-z again. Once again my multiplier was set at 6x but the bus speed was 266 MHz which is normal. It was acting pretty sluggish as I tried to reboot and I actually had to press the reset button on the case to restart. This time I went right into the bios and saw that my multiplier was set at 6x in the bios, I manually changed it back to 7x and it ran fine for the rest of the day(including a 2-3 hour session of Oblivion).

Whew, sorry for the novel there but I am trying to give good info, I know the people that will be able to help will be looking for info. The reason I listed the link for my PSU is because I know I didn't buy one of the top brands, but the ratings on Newegg convinced me I would be okay and thought I could save 50 dollars there and just hit my 1200 dollar budget.

So I'm clueless here and not really able to diagnose this, but I am thinking/hoping that it is a power supply issue, or do I have a problem with another component? I read that speedfan was a decent way to check your voltages so I will list my readings here also if that helps, they don't seem right in every area but then again I'm not 100% sure I know what I'm looking at.

Vcore1: 1.25V; Vcore2: 1.86V; +3.3V: 3.36V; +5V: 4.89V; +12V: varies between 0.00V and 0.06V; -12V: -16.97V; -5V: 7.27V; +5V: 5.16V; Vbat: 3.18V

Hope that's enough for now, let me know if you need me to do anything else, I want to get this worked out. I don't have any spare parts to change out since this was my first build, but if someone thinks they can nail the problem I'll RMA and get a replacement or different part.

do you have the fan set to auto in the bios? because it sounds like the bios is turning off the fan, or the fan has been disconnected, so as a reaction, the pc reduced voltage, fsb, and multiplier to reduce temps so it dont fry because of no fan. when it says 0 rpm, can you look into the case and confirm it? also, did the voltage readings come from speedfan? if so, get a different utility, maybe one from the manufactures site, those are more accurate. as for it shutting off, that would be its reaction to overheating and powering off to prevent damage.

The cpu fan is set to auto in the bios. Yep, the voltage readings are from speedfan, but I'll look into another one. I didn't think to look in the case at the time, if it happens again I'll take out the two thumb screws and open the side and check, that's a good idea.

The fact that the cpu got ramped down when the fan probably stopped on me is good, that takes some weight off my shoulders since I'll be ordering a non-stock heatsink and fan any day now... Hopefully when I get it installed this will all be just a bad memory. :p

Thanks for the reply, if anyone else has any advice feel free to chime in, and thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom