CPU/Motherboard Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerfectFlaw

Beta member
Hey

Problem
My PC was running fine up until recently when on boot it caked itself before reaching login. What happens now is when i start it up, it doesnt reach bios or load in any form.

My Specs
Intell P4 2.53
1024MB DDR400
Gigabyte SIS655 Socket 478 AGP8x (GA-8SQ800)
WD EIDE Cavair SE (8mb cache ATA\100)

My troubleshooting
At fist i thought it was a graphics issue either with the monitor or the card as i was getting the "no signal" or the monitor would shortly switch to standby, So i tried an alternate monitor and graghics card, neither made any change.

Secondly (perhaps illogically) i suspected the HD, i swapped the HD into another computer, it didnt work. I purchased a new one (same specs but higher volume) It did not work in the computer with the issue but did in another. The old HD worked this time when i tried it in a different computer.

Through a series of queries i think its either the Motherboard or CPU:

There is an amber/orange solid light on the Motherboard.
All fans are working.
All cards have been removed and re-inserted.
Booting without ram alters no symptoms
On load the hard drive lights flicker still.

Any help or further trouble shooting anyone can offer is much appreicaited

Thank you

Charlie

Check your motherboard manual for what the lights mean usually there are 4 lights that go on during the boot, you say that there is one light and I think that means CPU or Motherboard error, check Mobo manual it may tell you.

Thanks for the reply

The manual said the light was the ram LED but that was all, no troubleshooting

I tried using other ram to no avail

Are there any unique symptoms (in this scenario) that may be able to tell me if this is a CPU issue or a motherboard issue?

Thanks

Charlie

Thanks for the reply

I was hoping for a different error or a change in what was happening by starting without ram.

I tried new ram and it didnt work, so it maybe the slots which means a new board.

I ordered a new motherboard and processor today

Thanks Mr_Threepwood and nitestick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom