CPU or MB problem? Or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekdysiast

Beta member
I bought a systemax system about a year ago. Model# SYXS-DB-989150.

I think the specs are:

CPU: PENTIUM P4 3.06 (probably celeron)
MB: P4M800-M7A
RAM: 1GB

Anyway, after receiving my product, I attached two extra hard drives immediately afterwards, and my troubles started a few weeks afterwards. The hard drive which was attached as a slave to the C drive would not show up from time to time when I booted my computer. However, if I restarted it, it would appear, so I just lived with it.

Then sometime in January, my house had a blackout. After that, whenever I did something that required a lot of data transfer from one hard drive to another, the computer would just restart without warning. I don't do games, but I do use a lot of video related software such as AutoGK or DVD Shrink, and those are the only times when the computer would restart. When using Office programs or Firefox, the computer would run fine. I do however, have a suspicion that Winamp caused the computer to crash quite a few times.
Looking around, I found that you could configure a setting in "My Computer >> Advanced" where you could have a blue screen of death appear instead of the computer simply resurrecting itself. I did that, and no BSOD.
Then, I downloaded memtest and tested the ram with 5 passes. It passed with flying colors.
I also downloaded SpeedFan to see whether the temperature ever went ballistic while I was running DVD Shrink. I never managed to catch the moment when the computer crashed but the temperature was always below the 60 degree mark and only exceeded 50 sporadically.
Finally, I downloaded "CPU Burn-in" and let it rip. This managed to crash my machine everytime, and I'm quite sure this fouled up my computer for good. Now, it randomly reboots anytime it feels like it.

So my question is: Is this a problem with my CPU, motherboard, or both?

I'll just buy the parts and replace them myself, but I'd like to salvage what I can rather than buying both parts (which would be a surefire remedy but I might be throwing away a perfectly good CPU or motherboard).

sounds to me like youve got a shot mobo. It may be the CPU as well but I would try swapping out the mobo first and seeing if taht helps. Reason i say that is... you said your original problem was taht the comp wouldnt not see a hard drive periodically which to me suggests a bad IDE controller or cable. Now since memtest passed 5 times then the CPU ran stable during the memory test otherwise it would have crashed. Swapping ur mobo is the best choice I think... let me know what happens

Turns out my PSU was too weak. Replaced it with a 500W PSU from Antec and everything's working fine now.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom