CPU keeps going bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidedward

Beta member
Had an intel pentium 4 2.8 ghz. The CPU went bad. I replaced both the CPU and motherboard(same motherboard, just bought a new one), as well as the heatsink. Applied the thermal paste. 2 weeks later the CPU went bad again.

This time, I bought a new case, new Powersupply, new motherboard, athlon xp 3.5ghz. The motherboard and processer, and heatsink were pre-installed from factory.

Used the old hard drive, dvd rom. Had to wipe and re-install windows.

1 week later, CPU bad for the third time!

This computer is always on the same surge protector. Temperature readings were always relitively similar to the other 3 computers I have built .. . all of which have no problems.

Any suggestions?

No post, no system beeps. Monitor continues to display "No Video". Hard drive and fans were spinning. Plugged it to a working monitor just in case. Still no video.

I tried taking out memory one at a time, using known working memory. Took all accessories out one at a time. Put everything back in but put a new CPU in and it worked fine. Fearful that perhaps the motherboard wasn't regulating the fan on the heatsink correctly, or the heatsink fan wasn't sufficient, I bought a new motherboard and heatsink. Installed with thermal grease.

Computer was fine for 2 weeks, then same symptoms. Went down with "no video" after trying to restart it. Fans spinning, hard drive active. No post.

Not sure what in the world was wrong, I replaced all componets except the hard drive, dvd rom, and memory (and video, forgot about that). The motherboard was pre-installed with the heatsink and cpu.

Computer worked great for a week. Then, again.

Same problem. Switching to a working monitor doesn't get a picture. No post, no beep. Hard drive spins, dvd powers on.

While active, my temp reads were similar to the other 3 computers I have built but have no problems.

I was starting to think maybe it was a bad outlet and surge protector?

Do you know how unlikely it is for one cpu to go bad?? You have three? I find that very hard to beleive. What you discribe is almost always a bad motherboard not a bad CPU. Can I have your old "BAD" cpu's lol

FlashDude said:
Do you know how unlikely it is for one cpu to go bad?? You have three? I find that very hard to beleive. What you discribe is almost always a bad motherboard not a bad CPU. Can I have your old "BAD" cpu's lol

That's what I'm thinking also, but the bad power outlet could be a factor. Sound like an incompatibility with the motherboard and video card. If you hear no POST beeps it means CPU or motherboard.

The motherboard was fully functional. The only difference in starting the system was a replacement of CPU.

I tested it further today, the 3 CPU's each fail to boot in other systems that are known to work.

Oh well. The computer tech I took the computer to said the same thing. Very unlikely, but the CPU's were definitely bad. He suggested replacing the power supply with a more name brand one that has an automatic shutoff on power surges, change outlets in case of dirty power, and buy a real APC surge protector/batter backup. Use a cheap CPU for the first month or so . . . then switch to a real one after the situation has not recreated itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom