CPU issues(maybe?) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default CPU issues(maybe?)

Here is the deal. The computer first started crashing randomly, ussually while playing games or videos or programs. Then it just quit working. It would power on and the fans would kick in and work but the screen would be blank. I thought it was the graphic card so we bought one. Nothing changed. Changed out hard drive and ram and still nothing. bought a new CPU and replaced the old one and BAM it was working again. Not thirty minutes later after installing a new OS and getting it running again it started crashing like before. I cant figure this one out... could it be the motherboard? The motherboard sometimes says its in safe mode and that I need to check if the CPU is overclocked but I havent touched any settings like that and neither has my friend and I cant find them in the settings. here is the MB model if this helps K8N Neo4-F . Thanks in advance for any help, I cant find anyone that knows what could be causing this.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Papa Chester

Send a message via MSN to Antec-User
Default Re: CPU issues(maybe?)

Sometimes "lights are on, but nobody is home" is a PSU issue.. do you have a speaker on the board? Get beep codes at post?

<---- If You enjoyed my ramblings, or if I've helped you, Check me... :D
Old 01-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No beeps, loads up past the motherboard and before it even gets to the windows loading it goes blank.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Papa Chester

How are your heatsinks? Dusty? May be an overheating issue.. How did you apply the CPU paste when you reapplied the heatsink? I'm gonna let someone else chine in on this. I don't want to give you a wrong answer..

Old 01-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thats what I think too, I have never replaced a CPU before but I just washed my hands and spread the paste evenly over it with the tip of my finger, after it crashed more I put more on it until it was coming off the sides(but not into or on anything else). Heatsink looks to be working fine and the tempurater on the case says CPU is 86 F and that everything is fine.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I can delete partions and dl the setup files and boot from disk but when it actually reboots to install windows the screen just goes blank, no beeps or nioses or anything
Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Papa Chester

^ I thought u said 86*c! THAT's high, but 86*f is pretty normal.

The way I spread CPU paste is with my finger also, just smear just enough around to color the CPU. If it's seeping out of the sides, that's too much. You just need enough to fill the microscopic voids in the metal and enough to transfer heat to the heatsink. Too much paste can be just as bad as none at all.

Stupid question; but your cpu fan IS plugged in, right? And when you installed the CPU, you aligned the arrow on the chip to the arrow on the socket?

Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Fan is plugged in and working and the chip is in correctly, yup.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Papa Chester

^ Jump the ram sticks.. (Process of elimination, see if the RAM is an issue.).. Take one out move it to DIMM 1, then swap it out..

Then try a CMOS reset, just for haha's

Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I know it may sound like a generic answer, but you could always test any monitor connection. Which you probably have done.
Are you able to enter BIOS set-up?

Closed Thread