CPU incompatibilities?

danhodge

In Runtime
I ordered all my parts from Amazon, and the motherboard has come first, along with my processor and PSU.
I am reading my motherboard manual, and i have come across a few problems, which would be brilliant to get an answer for:

1. It says 'DDR3 1600 with Ivy bridge, and DDR3 1333 with Sandy bridge'. I have an i5 2500, and 1600mhz ram - will it still run, but be limited to 1333mhz, or will it just not work at all?

2. Same thing really - apparently i can only reach pixel shader 4.1, and direct x10.1 with sandy bridge, as opposed to 5.0 and 11.0 with ivy bridge. Is this actually true, or a guideline of some sort?

3. Will these limitations impact my performance much?

4. Since this wasn't listed on the processor information page on Amazon, would this allow me to get a refund, from lack of information (if it has any major impacts, that is)?

Thanks a lot, and a speedy reply would be fantastic - the ram and tower should be arriving in the next one or two days.

To give you a accurate answer, please post the link of the motherboard.
If your current motherboard is limited to 1333mhz of ram, thats all it will handle not unless a bios update addresses that issue.

Once we get some information, we should be able to tell you what you can do or cannot do. :)

The motherboard supports 1600, i made sure of that. The only thing i didn't check with (except the socket) was the processor, as i didn't think it affected this. Here is the link anyway if you want to take a look:

ASRock H77M Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel H77, DDR3, S-ATA 600, Micro ATX): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Don't worry too much, your processor is good it works, what vga card and ram brand are you using ?
At 1600mhz it will support it straight away like my am3+ fx cpu does.
If your midrange gamer you could look into a GTX 500 series for starters.

Your good for now so need to refund anything, if it breaks just rma with the manufacturer and be sure to register your hardware.

Corsair vengeance RAM, and i think i will be getting a GTX 550Ti, but that is minimum - i am hoping i can afford a GTX 560Ti soon.

I chose all this in my thread in 'Building and buying', but i just hit this problem.

Only the ram left to arrive now - exciting stuff!

Corsair vengeance RAM, and i think i will be getting a GTX 550Ti, but that is minimum - i am hoping i can afford a GTX 560Ti soon.

If I were you, I would just hold out for a short while and build up the money and get this:

Newegg.com - ZOTAC ZT-61001-10M GeForce GTX 650 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
If you can bare dealing with onboard video, pick this up.
I wish I had 120.00 to spend on a card like it, but apparently I own a poor mans wallet... :(

Enjoy whichever one you get. ;)

I was thinking that, but I'm a Brit, and i haven't seen the 650 on any of the sites i can use yet. I don't suppose you know the date i can buy it in the UK?

I got money for passing my exams, then for my birthday a week later - so as soon as i buy the graphics card, i will too ;)

I was thinking that, but I'm a Brit, and i haven't seen the 650 on any of the sites i can use yet. I don't suppose you know the date i can buy it in the UK?

I got money for passing my exams, then for my birthday a week later - so as soon as i buy the graphics card, i will too ;)

Hmm, if you woudn't mind buying from different region of europe I may be able to find something....
Give me awhile and I'll post back later on tonight US eastern time.

Well, I'm still thinking about sticking with the 550Ti.

I'm guessing this is exaggerated, for Nvidia to make their product seem better (some clarification on that would be great), but this says on an old i7/2GB system, with the 550Ti, Battlefield 3 can run on ultra graphics settings, at 40fps. I'm new to computer gaming, but 40fps is decent right? And since i'm on 8GB ram and an i5 2500, surely my performance is even better?
GeForce GTX 550 Ti | Performance | GeForce

If this/my judgement of it is right, i would be more than happy going with the 550Ti, especially if it means i don't have to wait for a 650 release...

Well, I'm still thinking about sticking with the 550Ti.

I'm guessing this is exaggerated, for Nvidia to make their product seem better (some clarification on that would be great), but this says on an old i7/2GB system, with the 550Ti, Battlefield 3 can run on ultra graphics settings, at 40fps. I'm new to computer gaming, but 40fps is decent right? And since i'm on 8GB ram and an i5 2500, surely my performance is even better?
GeForce GTX 550 Ti | Performance | GeForce

If this/my judgement of it is right, i would be more than happy going with the 550Ti, especially if it means i don't have to wait for a 650 release...

Go ahead and pick it up, as long as it makes you happy I'm fine with it.
When its finally built come back and tell me how it went. :D

Back
Top Bottom