CPU/HDD problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

In Runtime
Hi all,

My uncle's having problems with his PC. Basically, he was on it, then it suddenly powered down, as in black screen and PC became unresponsive.

I've been and had a look at the PC. When I switched it on, the green power light lights up on the front of the PC, but the hard drive light does not flicker, as it would usually do.

After taking the cover off the chassis, the CPU fan seems to be working, as it was spinning as per usual, leading me to believe that the motherboard was ok. I even swapped his current PSU over with another PSU, but still to no avail.

So I decided to take the HDD out and stick it in my PC. The BIOS in my PC detects the HDD successfully, (Maxtor something or other) and when I tried to boot from the HDD, you can hear the platters whiring instead and it started to make the "grating" noise that HDD's do. However, Windows fails to boot from it, and the PC just constantly restarts after POST, I think thats down to my PC, though, as my motherboard, chipsets, CPU etc are totally different to my uncles, the HDD obviously cannot find the configuration that is installed on the device, as least thats what I think, I could be wrong.

Anyway, that aside, I've ran out of ideas. Is it possible that the CPU has fried? Or would a Hard drive in a PC with a dead CPU still respond?

In a nutsell. Green light shows when you turn the PC on - Fans seem to function - power to motherboard - no response from HDD, no HDD lights show. May I also add that there are no POST beeps when the PC boots.

I'd be very grateful for some advice.

Thanks all.

Jonathan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom