CPU or Graphics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonOfWil

Solid State Member
I need some help with my computer!!!

So, I was moving my computer into my new place, but some how, the CPU fan fell off and landed on top of the graphics card (using a tower). I reinstalled the CPU fan and made sure there were no loose wires. I hooked up my monitor to the computer and when I turned it on, nothing. No boot sequence, no logos, nothing. I made sure there's power running to the mother board and the graphics card.

However, in my opinion, I think the CPU died during the moving process. I have a USB Microsoft wireless Keyboard/Mouse set: http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Microsoft_USB_Wireless_Mouse_and_KeyboardxgaDetail.jpg

And when I plugged in that USB receiver into all the USB slots, there was no light. Usually, I would get a light when I plug in the receiver.

And if it helps here's some of my specs:
Motherboard: Asus
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Have you checked to make sure that all wires are connected properly? Have you checked to make sure that the heat sink is still mounted propely? Have you made sure that no damage was done to any component? Have you checked to make sure that all components are snug in the proper place?

There's seems to be some damage to the CPU. It's not scratches but looks like the CPU coolant fluid.

Are you using water cooling or something? Cause there shouldnt be any fluid otherwise.

Sorry to confuse you. Not water cooling. The thermal compound you put on the heat sink and the cpu.

**** it!!! The one time when I need a camera!!!

Sorry, I don't have a camera. The best I could describe the damage as a smudge. No scratches, dents, or chips. The smudge from the thermal compound is on the face of the CPU where it is touching the pins.

Best bet, get some new thermal compund. Remove the old stuff and apply new stuff. See if it helps. Sounds as if the heat sink slipped and now there isnt a good connection between the heat sink and CPU.

It's a little hard to tell what you mean, do you mean there's thermal paste in the actual cpu socket? e.g. over the pins?

depending on the amount, yes that could be a problem. What motherboard/cpu do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom