Baseband Member
ASUS P5AD2-E Premium
Intel 3.0 ghz 64 bits
ddr2 512*2 corsair 5400
Seagate baracuda 250 gb Sata
Western digital 34.5 gb 10000 rpm
Wintv pvr350
Leadtek 6600gt extreme 128 mb

My processor which came with the originol fan goes overheated as soon as i start any kind of heavy graphics or video editing or even play games? The rest of the components and the temperature inside the Chassi is good. I opened the fan and there was dust in it so i cleaned it. But its still going hot.
Right now i am just copying video from my sony DV camera and its running hot on 80 c . What do i need to do to make life better for this processor?

Processor temp under normal use of windows is 60 c

I dunno how much thermal paste should be there. I took the whole thing off the processor and checked the paste. Its a little hard and dry, nothing like a paste.
Should i buy new paste and how much i should apply or should i change the whole heatsink?

I would buy some paste, you put a about the size of a grain of rice then use something to spread it a little mainly keep it in the centre, use an old credit card or something to do it.

I would make sure all the dust is off the heat sink and clean the fan out, you could buy a new one but it might not be necessary.

baronvongogo said:
I would buy some paste, you put a about the size of a grain of rice then use something to spread it a little mainly keep it in the centre, use an old credit card or something to do it.

I would make sure all the dust is off the heat sink and clean the fan out, you could buy a new one but it might not be necessary.

i disagree with spreading it with a credit card
i suggest putting the grain of rice size dot in the center and then applying your hsf. the pressure of hsf spreads the paste where it needs to be...which is the center of the cpu's heat spreader.
read from the arctic silver5 website under installation, they have a good reason for not spreading it. i.e. the heat transfer is more efficient if the paste is centered on the cpu instead of totally covering it.

lol hey where i work we don't even remove the old thermal paste we just put new stuff on like icing on a cake lol! and sure the heat sink should spread it out but i still use something to do it my self especially if the amount is so small i dont trust the heat sink to spread it enough.

^^lol^^
jesus kee-rist remind me not to buy a computer from where you work. lol put some more icing on that cake. haha that's great actually started my day off good.
really though, you can tell it spreads it directly. as5 says to press hsf on, then rotate hsf to remove air bubbles. i myself use a little more than a grain of rice because, as you say, i need to know there is enough on there.

80c normally 60c? lol even with thermal paste its not gonna do jack. What u need is a new cpuheatsink. I suggest getting a zalman:D

OK now problem is preety much undercontrol. I didnt see arctic silver website to check how to apply it. I applied a little paste but it didnt work and my pc would shut offf in a few seconds and i gueessed it was because my HSF was touching the processor so i covered the whoole processor with the paste and it worked fine.
Its 48 normal and 63 when hot. Before it even used to get to 99 and then hangup. I can go with 63.
I have another little question. My Graphic card leadtek 6600gt extreme has a big HSF. Its getting hot too when i play some heavy graphics game for a long time with full details. I havnt taken off the heat sink yet. But you think i can do the same to my Graphic card what i did to my processor? Any suggestions over that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom