CPU Fan running very fast, restarts on boot - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default CPU Fan running very fast, restarts on boot

Just finished replacing my old motherboard, had a PCI E slot burn out and want to get back into gaming with a new board and graphics card. But upon start up I noticed my CPU fan was running wasy too fast, and the computer displays the board page then goes to voltages, runs to start up screen, keyboard works. So I hit start up windows normal, it goes to start windows screen, CPU fan resets, then the computer reboots, and starts all over.

The PSU is new, worked great before the new motherboard, i don't have the front panel connector plugged in, currently I am "hot wiring" the computer to start it.

I have tried troubleshooting computers before and it turned into buying a new computer. I don't understand that if the CPU fan runs on high and everything else works just fine: volts, video, accessories(keyboard, mouse), and acknowledgement why it would keep rebooting like something is being reset in a hardware type situation.

Before the PCI E slot went out i had done a reformat on the hard drive, so i highly doubt it's a software issue, especially without a blue screen or a boot error on the screen.

Restarts in the same spot everytime. haven't tried bios or anything like that, and idk if it would stay up that long for me to do anything.

Thanks for any help

Old 08-17-2011, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: CPU Fan running very fast, restarts on boot

Did you reinstall windows after the motherboard change? If not you have to do that....

Old 08-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Describing what I am dealing with though would the computer allow the install without continous restarts? I feel like my issue is the CPU fan or something power related. I'll go ahead with the reinstall though and see what comes of it
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Just got a new message today on the screen, it says Warning ! Over Clock Fail. this didn't come up before. It gives me the options to run setup or settings back to default, but since it's a new motherboard everything is already at default. Possible DOA motherboard?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Every now board does that. Set it to defaults, and it won't bother you.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ah ok, also I believe it is windows, it restarts once windows tries to start.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Most computers will run the fan at high speed when they first start, till all the information from your BIOS is loaded. And the constant crashing could be what caused the over clock error, as I get that when my computer gets shut down 3 times in a row improperly.

Closed Thread