CPU fan constantly 1600rpm, getting loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper_13

In Runtime
In the beginning of my computer the fan used to idle around 1400rpm and under and my temps where 30ish. But lately my fan has kept kind of consistent around 1600rpm and 33c at idle on the cpu, its getting quite loud and its hard to concentrate when im studying when this high pitched sound is on all the time.

Is it normal to be at that rpm, i know the temps are ok but the sound of this thing is killing me. What should i do.

My specs are in my sig and the heatsink im using is Cooler Master V6

Thanks

I think your fan is broken in some way. Off balance from the center, perhaps.

You could go into your BIOS and see if there are any settings that tone it down. You can try using speedfan as well.

As mind said, go into bios and check your fan speed settings, even though I don't own a intel system, what I would suggest is you tell bios to adjust your cpu fan speed to 45% and the system fans to 50%.

Seing as how things are getting cold your pc should not need any more cooling then it needs to not unless you have a video card that gives off some good heat.

If that doesn't work, you could look into something better, even though I would prefer artic cooling for both am3 and socket 1366 platforms there are some better heatsinks that the advanced members use on their systems.

A heatsink is not the issue here. It is just the fan that is going bonkers.

He would just need a new fan, at most.

Thanks for the input guys, well i bought the heat-sink not even a month ago so i still have exchange warranty. unfortunately its either i take apart the whole heat-sink for the fan which is a hassle or i just buy a new fan for 10$

What kind of loud are we talking about? It will be one of a few things that cause it to be loud, one, the fan is just naturally loud from pushing the air, two it could be clogged/caked with dust causing noise, three, the bearings in the fan it self could be bad, causing it to create grinding/vibrating noises, or clicks.

well the noise is not like a fan should be, its not smooth. but it sounds like prob because its at high RPM's and theres no way dust is clogging it, its only about 3 weeks old

High RPM doesn't always mean noise, my stock fans always ran at 3k, and was really quiet. If you can, take the fan, and spin it with your finger, if there is any click feeling, or resistance in some spots, it's bad bearing. Also, are you sure it is the CPU fan?

North bridge and GPU heatsink fans tend to be noisy little suckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom