CPU core temp fluctuates. Is this bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suidakra

Baseband Member
Well, I'm a bit confused by it. About 5 days ago I purchased an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ retail from Newegg. I'm using the stock heatsink and fan.

When I first installed it, for a couple days I checked the temperature in bios and it remained between 32 - 34 C or so. Recently when I enter bios it fluctuates rapidly, not really going hotter, but fluctuating a large amount. For example, in the time of a few seconds today it went from 20 - 36 C! Is this not normal?

Like I said, it seems to be reading cooler, not warmer and the only things I can think of are that I moved an exit fan from the back to the front to cool my hard-drives and the air is more sitll. There's still a fan blowing in on the side panel and one blowing out on the top, both near the processor. The other idea is that the heatsink or thermal material is not set properly. Any ideas?

Also, if anybody knows any program I can use to check the temperature of the CPU when I'm running windows, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance guys.

when your computer is turned on, it will rise in temp within a few seconds to around 30-40C(average amd temp)

if it is constantly changeing from a low temp to a high temp then the sensor could be faulty...

I wouldn't be worrying unless the processor reaches 50C+

to sum it up,,, it should be ok as long as the temp stops riseing around 30-40C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom