Is is the cpu cooling or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueGoose

Beta member
Before I say anything, this is the computer I made about 2 years ago:
3.0ghz pentium 4 800Mhz
x700 radeon pro
1024 MB corsair RAM
2 80GB Seagate HDDs
2 120mm case fans

Okay so, I was in the bathroom and my computer in the other room was on. All of a sudden it turns off, so I go back into my room and turn it on again. Before the computer looks for the hard drive or cd drive for the operating system a screen appear in which I press f1 to continue. This time it also had an error message saying "Cpu overheated" and a voice said the same thing. So I turn off the computer with the power button and wait 3 minutes or so. I turn it on again and its fine through the f1 screen but then it says there was a hard disk read error. So I turn it off and try it 2 more times with same results.

Angrily I decide to reinstall windows onto my 2nd harddrive which is clean. As windows xp setup is formatting the harddrive before installing the % bar stays at 0 for over 5 minutes and theres no sound from the harddrive. So I turn off the computer and retry installing. This time it gets to 1% and then stops, and so I turn it off again and pretty much gave up.

So my question is, would this be a cooling problem, or a CPU problem as a whole? I doubt its the harddrive but I'm going to keep all possibilities open for now.

Any help would be nice since I need this fixed a soon as possible, but without spending cash on parts I really don't need.

Thanks!

need

The fan on the cpu is spinning although dust has accumulated everywhere on the computer. That could be part of the problem. Is getting a new heatsink for the CPU a feasible solution?

yeah ur best bet take it somewhere off carpeting or ground urself adn take it apart. go over everything with some canned air clean clean clean, re assemble.if u ran for so long withouht heat probs u shouldnt have any all of the sudden so something must be f d up. worst case ur processor is kaput.try cleaning and let us know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom