Cpu - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Cpu

Hi
matt ere again. ma brothers computer broke a few weeks ago. and i finaly got round to seeing to it. it turns on but not boot up. so i thought it might be the cpu. i removed the fan and found there was white stuff on the top of it felt like clay.anyone know what it is.
cheers

Old 09-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Cpu

its thermal compound its used to go in between the cpu and the heatsink so the heat can spread to the heat sink easier. dont clean it off unless you have spare compound laying around or plan to use silver compound

Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ohh right thatnks for that. just in time lol i was about to go bck dwn n clean it
Old 09-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Take out a stick of ram and try booting it. If it still wont boot put that one back in and remove another and try booting again. And repeat until you have gone through your RAM. See if that can get it to boot.
Asus P5KC aiLifestyle Mobo
4GB Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400
Gigabyte 720W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium
Old 09-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

method ive just tried that nicked sum ram of my computer nout happening. theres power going through the computer but the mointor isnt picking it up. so ive tried the one out of my computer and the one pre-installed. stil nothing im thinking it may be the mother board or cpu
Old 09-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

So will it just not boot at all? No intro logos or bios menu's showing?

Can you take a look at the motherboard for me and tell me if there are any bulging/swollen/leaking capacitors (look like metal cyclinders). As I know some of the older Dell Optiplex's had a problem with this, but not neccesarily always a dell problem.

Heres an example of a bulging/swollen one. See how there 'bulging' out of the top. If they are leaking you will see the leakage ontop also.

What make and model is the PC? Is it custom built or made by someone like Dell??
Gigabyte 720W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium
Old 09-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yea thats right no intro or bios.now the mointor wont recognize it. ive checked the capasitors they all seem fine. it was a fujitsu siemens but there was a problem with to mother board ages ago so . now its a an ASRock dual channel 775i65g. thanks for the help i realy apreiacte this.
infact the monitor does recogize it but nothing is showing
Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Did the problem arise after you put in the new mobo? Or was the new mobo put in quite a while ago?

Have you made sure you havent got any loose connections on hardware (make sure all hardware is seated properly) and any connectors from the power supply arnt loose?

And also, is there any beeps coming from the PC when you start it up at all?? (sometimes the speakers have to be plugged in so make sure they are )

Another thing would be to make absolutely sure that the heatsink is properly fitted as they can take quite a bit of force to get on, especially stock ones. Make sure the mounts that push through the holes in the mobo are mounted through them correctly. As it could be possible any kind of heat protection on the motherboard could be preventing it from booting. And make sure that you have reconnected the fan to the mobo. The correct pins for it to be plugged into should be labelled something like CPU Fan or CPU1, something along those lines.
Gigabyte 720W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium
Old 09-07-2008, 05:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

right k. cheers method. thanks for he info,ill try it 2nite if it wrks ill buy u a beer.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Np, to be honest its just a process of elimination as to what exactly is causing the problem

Gigabyte 720W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium
Closed Thread