CPU at 140 degrees C

w34z3l

Beta member
Greetings,

Laptop CPU which is an AMD A10-4600M seems to reach 135 degrees C without too much work load. From running some searches it seems this is not even close to normal. Few questions -

Can someone confirm this is way out of line? Or is it only slightly?

Can I continue operation, or is it dangerous, i.e. a fire risk?

Do such temperatures when not under heavy workload imply a hardware failure?

Thanks for the input.

0mCbBpedMX3qTFUa5NTCwsLi9v8f1Cr2EMFoIz6AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Interesting link, thanks.

A number of years back when I used to use the system for gaming it would randomly shut off (presumably due to overheating), similar to how was mentioned in the linked thread.

So, the system definitely has issues with overheating, and the CPU is very likely running too hot, but after reading that thread I see that the 135 degree celsius figure is almost definitely inaccurate.

Now I just use the laptop for data storage and running a localhost server. I don't even have the screen on at any point, it's connected to an external monitor. So I don't even see why it runs as hot as it even does (whatever the real temperature is) given that I don't put it under a lot of load.

Anyway, so long as it's not a fire hazard, not a problem. I don't need the system for anything intensive. Thanks for the response.

Blow out any dust from the vents (take the bottom panel off if possible as well, and blow out the heatsink/fan directly), keep it placed in a well-ventilated area on top of a hard, flat surface. Could even reapply thermal paste to potentially help.

Back
Top Bottom