CPU is at 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

macraigma

In Runtime
So my motherboard blew a few capacitors and I had them replaced now when i boot to the drive its extremely slow and takes almost an hour to fully boot up. the CPU is at 100% almost all the time and the task manager says System Idle Process is at 99 or 98 almost all of the time, which makes me think its not software but has to be hardware... anyone have any clues? I beleive its an M8400F motherboard is MCP61PM-HM (Nettle3) Im pretty sure, I'm not in front of the machine right now but I'd like any help if at all possible. THanks!

Dang playt, if that mobo but a few capaciters I would really be worried about what is going to catch on fire first when I'm not home, especially if that cpu has 100% load nonstop.
If you log back in today I hope you see this before this friday.
Merry chistmas:MCP61PM-HM, Computers Networking, HP. Great deals on eBay!

Also I would recommend you start pff with a better heatsink fan and manhattan or artic silver 5 thermal grease.
A decent fan case will keep some stuff cooled down and chilled out.
Do a complete hdd check to see if you have any hdd errors before you reinstall windows again.

Yeah the mobo is MCP61PM-HM (Nettle3) and I have the AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor on it. I was playing with it and i noticed that sometimes it will spike down to 35% and back up to 100% mostly the process being used is one of 3 or 4 SVCHOST files. I went to msconfig and used diagnostic startup so that only windows related processes were running I followed Osiris' website guide and didnt find any issues, I ran CCleaners registry cleaner, I also ran Cleanup! I tried cycling the RAM and those all check out, RAM seems fine. I checked all the connections on the board and I tried booting to my Windows 7 HDD that had all the drives for this mobo and its peripherals and it too had the same issue, 100% CPU. Kinda at a loss, I mean if I can fix the board I want to but if I have to Ill buy a new one but that will be my last possible option. Thanks for the help!

Seriously... trash the mobo and processor. What ever happen to popped the copacitors more than likely did alot more damage... esp to the processor. And as MikefuryXP said you better hope it doesnt catch fire litteraly. You can get a new Mobo and Processor for near what it would cost to fix the bored (unless you got a guy) but you still never know what else was damaged and your talking a fine tuned machine to be taking chances with.

well right now im > 30 miles away from my house lol so well have to see what happens/happened when I get home! =/ I'm really hoping theres no fire.. would SUCK!

So I ran CPUID's hardware monitor over the weekend and saw that my CPU's average temp was 130 °F and my graphics card temp was about 145 °F - do these temperatures seem okay? Also after changing Vista graphic settings from high to low ( windows classic ) I noticed it doesnt stay at 100% all the time, only when I am opening/running programs or navigating thru folders does it spike back up to 100%. Any Ideas? Still think its my mobo/CPU ?

I'm not as familiar with Windows based hardware as I used to be, but those temperatures don't look that unreasonable (hopefully someone else on this forum can give a more definite answer).

However I find it a little unusual that hardware could cause this. My experience with something like a mobo/CPU failure is that it shows up with slow performance, AND very erratic random crashing, freezing, applications quitting with no warning. Does your machine show these other symptoms or does it just run very slow. I've also never heard of a hardware failure causing SVCHOST to chew up all the CPU capacity.

SVCHost from my understanding is a background service that any number of applications can startup or run, so this to me looks more like some sort of software issue (especially if you can reduce load by simply adjusting settings). What I'd suggest as a way to help isolate either to or away from software is:
  1. boot to the original install disc and maybe run a disc check. If it misbehaves here by running incredibly slowly or crashes then I would lean towards hardware issue
  2. Clean install Operating system on another drive and see if you can recreate the issue when booted from there. If same issue then hardware, if not then it is more than likely a software issue

My gut feeling is that you were probably getting some weird crashes and shutdowns when your capacitors on your mobo blew, which has caused some corruptions to your hard drive causing these issues.

Anyway, keep us all posted on what you find

I don't have the install disc so I am downloading the Vista repair disk offered from Microsoft. Although it does not offer an install or reinstall of Windows Vista I'll try the features on the disk and if I cant get it to work ill try to reformat it with a different OS and see how that works. Ive also ordered another SATA cable, I read on a different thread that someones hardware was acting up because of a faulty SATA cable, only cost me $1.30 so i figured it couldn't hurt.

I did notice that my GPU temperature was averaging 140 °F. I googled real quick and found someone elses HD 3650 ran at about 122°F, could it be my graphics card? Just a thought.

Okay, last night I booted from the Vista 64 bit recovery disk I downloaded yesterday from Microsoft, and it took almost a half hour to boot from the disk. I decided to run a memory test, I let it go overnight and when I woke up it was only 15% done that was about 7 hours or so it was running. I got a guy at work who said it's possible the voltage regulators located around the processor got damaged when the capacitors blew, thoughts? I'm exhausting every option before buying new mobo/CPU, it's a good learning process too :) Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom