Counter Strike Source locking up and games having black lines and tearing. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via MSN to LOL_NESS
Angry Counter Strike Source locking up and games having black lines and tearing.

Hey all. Having a problem with my computer. In CSS i have been having a problem, i play it for 2 minutes, it is running fine, all of a sudden it just freezes for like 30 seconds then it automatically gets out of it back to the desktop. I look for error logs. No errors whatsoever! Also in trackmania nations forever there have been black lines running through the screen and in tony hawks underground 4 there has been graphical tearing. I have tryed two video cards and they are known working ones. My X1950 Pro is only brand new so swapped for another and tryed new drivers. Nothing. Still the same F*c!ng problem!! Its so annoying and i can't figure it out!

Old 07-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Default Re: Counter Strike Source locking up and games having black lines and tearing.

Check out the temps. It may be getting too hot.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 07-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Counter Strike Source locking up and games having black lines and tearing.

Temps are only getting round 35-40 degrees C
Old 07-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

anything overclocked?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

No nothing is overclocked.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

try switching the cable from the card to the monitor with another known working one. that has caused me some wierd issues in the past.
might be it, but it is starting to sound like a motherboard issue.

also, DL ATI tool and underclock your card and see if the problem goes away.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well my old motherboard did the exact same thing. went to upgrade bios and killed it. Got a new motherboard and is doing the exact same thing. Got a differant motherboard this time. So it can't be that.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

did you try to underclock the card? this may also tell you if your psu is underpowered.
that pretty much narrows it down then to cpu, ram or psu.
what cpu do you have?
what ram?
what psu?
do you have any spares on hand that you can swap? if you are running more than one stick of ram, take one out at a time and see if it stops.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

it's definitely overheating, download rivatuner and turn the fan up. artifacting only occurs with overheating because it's a gpu issue.

first try installing newer drivers and turn up the fan with rivatuner. if that doesn't help then post back.
2gb OCZ ram (2048mb 1 stick)
lite-on 20x dvd optical drive
western digital caviar 400GB SATA hdd
seagate U9 80gb hdd(old IDE)

windows vista ULTIMATE 32bit
Old 07-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

its not neccesarily true that heat is the only cause of artifacting...i just RMA'd a card to evga that was artifacting at 40*C. there are several causes of artifacting such as defective card memory or not enough juice getting to the card etc etc.
he said in one of his first posts that the temps were only 35-40*c and that definitely isnt too hot....
try underclocking the card and see what happens i'm tellin ya.