Could this be a ram issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billiegirl

Baseband Member
My computer been acting odd and every now and then.... it will restart it self with out doing anything.. or sometimes tell me a error happen and need to shut down window explorer, but the oddest thing is that it just closes down window explorer or whatever and then a blue screen appears saying that it will dump physical memory in: {number} and the numbers keep going up 1,2,3,4 ect ect I gave a quick read last time and it said something about a error in regards to software or hardware and I need to either go to bios or safe mode or restart the computer...

I never seen this before and its happen about 3 times in the last two days, plus the other things mention above.. and last time I restarted the computer it came up saying "there a serious issue with windows.... send error report or don't send" then it went away when I click the button and its been fine for a while my husband went on the computer and he said it just went black and didnt do anything so he turn it off...

Do you guys have any idea what it could be... I think it could be ram?

I have windows xp Home edition (2002) service pack 2
Ram: 768ram (256 x 512)
Intel Celeron CPU: 1.7ghz

I had the computer since 2003, and I got the new 512 ram in March this year and a new mother board in March as that other died, and its been clean (the side) since April when I got my burner so any ideas on how I can maybe test the ram or see what it could be..

Oh I also have ran Mech Reg and it came back clean...

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Nah its working again I am on it now typing this.. but it will just either restart itself with you in the middle of doing something, or do that blue screen thing, my hubby said last time it just went blank and did nothing he turn it off and then back on and it been ok since.

But out of no where it will either... restart itself, go the blue screen or just close down internet explor and tell me there an error...

Its never done the black screen to me before so its the first time its done that...

Anymore info you need let me know ok

Cheers :D

Hmm..this could be a lot of things. The first thing I would try is the usual scan for spyware and viri. Once its all clean we can than move on to the OS as a possible problem then move on to hardware being a possible problem :) Here is a little sheet I wrote up to fight spyware...errr..I thought I had it work I will post it up when I get home..it has been a pretty solid solution :)

HI there

I have run my virus protector it can back clean, and I ran my spy ware and it came back clean too thats why I am sort of at a lost lol I always do a quick clean of my spy ware every day and a full scan of my virus, spyware and mech reg once a week to keep it all clean

I just hope its nothing to major lol

wow..hmmm have tried running a repair on the OS to see if that clears anything up? I would try that then run all the service packs and updates..if it still does it then we can move on to hardware :)

OK sounds silly how do I do both... run a repair on OS and get all servuce packs & updates.. (sorry if I sound silly lol still learning)

Thanks for your help by the way... :)

Dont even worry about it our Aussie mum!lol :)

The repair is actually really easy. Insert the Windows XP CD and make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive. Once booted to the setup pretend like you are going to install a new OS (it says this on the install screens) at one point it will scan your system and say it detected a Windows OS at C:\WINDOWS would you like to repair it? You hit "R" and it goes through the repair process.

Very important at the first blue screen you get to for the install that you dont hit "R" on the that screen as this confuses a lot of people. It will only bring up the recovery console and not run a repair.

As for the updates you can download XP SP2 here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...be-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en then after that run all updates via windows update located on your All Programs menu in Windows or simply enable automatic updates.

ur spyware cleaner should of picked some up ..every pc has a little spyware ...even on a clean install of xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom