this could be a problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneWolf

Baseband Member
a friend of mine came over and left me his computer and i must say im

stumped anybody have an idea of why his computer reboots right before the

OS is about to start up?

What do you mean "right before the OS starts up"? Do you mean immediatly after the POST screen? Or do you actually get to the windows loading screen? If it's the first case, then I would check BIOs for any settings on error recovery (ie what the comp should do after an error). You might be able to cause the computer to do nothing upon post errors (ie just sit there), then gradually reset the things to "reboot on error" and see what is causeing the problem. If you don't want to do that, unplug all extraneous periphials (just leave RAM, HD and video card) and see if it boots that way, then plug them back in one by one to see what is the problem. Just some thoughts I had and the general suggestions for boot up issues, I have never actually tried any myself.

If it gets to the windows loading screen, try the above tip with removing hardware, and if it still doesn't work, reboot it and keep hitting F8, which should bring up some boot options for windows, select safe mode and see if it boots that way. If it dows, while in safe mode, open msconfig and disable all startup items, and see if it works normally. Then renable them to see what is causing the problem.

ive run into this problem a few times.

basically, a rewrite SHOULD fix it. but if it doesnt, you should be able to tell right away, because the formatting of the drive will take literally hours, no matter the size of the harddrive. if that occurs, his problem is probably a harddrive. try strapping in that drive as a slave to another machine to test it.

if that doesnt work, then i'd try clearing the CMOS and seeing what happens, and go from there.

Is it an infinite loop, then? Usually when I deal with computers rebooting before they make it to windows, I run CHKDSK under recovery console first (from an XP CD--if you need help, just ask). I also try FIXMBR/FIXBOOT. Does the unit give a real quick bluescreen, by chance? Lastly, have you tested the HDD using a Fitness Test? (I use DFT regularly...does pretty good). Look this post over and lemme know some more info. I have dealt with a billion "infinite loop" problems in my time.

~Josh

hey guys i tired all the things you said listed and it worked i dont know why but it kept rebooting right after the load screen and just kept on doing it even if i left it alone it would just keep on doing it over and over it really sucked but then i tired thoes commands jay said to try and it fixed my problems however there were still errors and it lagged really bad so i figured what hikaricloud said a rewrite could be usefull now everythings a ok thanks again everyone......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom