Could my cpu/motherboard just be getting old? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Could my cpu/motherboard just be getting old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213 View Post
You have to remember Streaming Videos will not be flawless. They have to download, buffer and then stream to your PC. IT isnt like watching TV where you will get the whole feed at once. You get parts of it at a time, then the PC puts it back together, buffers it so that it will play seamlessly and finally you see it.

So if you have not downloaded the whole video up front and this pause happens when you are near the end or close to the end of the part of which you have downloaded it is normal. That is jsut the video getting the next part and buffering it.

For a completely seamless experience, pause the download. Get the full video first. then play it back. Other than that you will always experience it. Even if you have a 20MB download speed. That is the flaw in the streaming video technology.
No I've waited for it to completely load (or download, whatever) and it still will do it. I THINK it's actually a firefox problem. I've tested a couple videos with Internet explorer, and they all work fine, but the same videos will stutter a couple times in firefox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyMonk View Post
Obviously your PC is out of date. It is time for an upgrade. Your processing speed is not fast enough for streaming videos. The best thing to do is just buy a new PC or upgrade to a better CPU.
Im planning on getting a new cpu, motherboard and 2gb of ddr2 ram pretty soon hopefully, so if it's just that my computer is out of date, this should help.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyMonk View Post
Obviously your PC is out of date. It is time for an upgrade. Your processing speed is not fast enough for streaming videos. The best thing to do is just buy a new PC or upgrade to a better CPU.
Not quite. I use a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT and i can stream videos just fine. In XP/Vista/Win7/Linux and BSD. So now the CPU is not his limitation. The streaming Videos has very little to do with CPU speed. It has more to do with codecs and download speed.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well Im not sure if downloading is my problem, cuz it'll still do it even if the video is completely downloaded. Does this mean I might just have some out of date codecs?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Could be. try getting the latest KLite codec pack and install that.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I THINK that may have done it. I had some other codecs that KLite had to uninstall, so maybe they were just bad/old. So far I don't think I've noticed the problem, thanks.

Closed Thread