Could my cpu/motherboard just be getting old? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Could my cpu/motherboard just be getting old?

I have an old motherboard, cpu and ram that my friend had for a few years before me, and I've now had for a few years too. (Except for a stick of 1GB ram, which is kinda new)

Im looking to upgrade soon, to a better cpu/motherboard and some ddr2 ram, but Im wondering if the problem Ive been having with videos is because of my old stuff.

Whenever I watch streaming videos (Like on youtube for example) every so often the video will pause for a second or two, but the audio will keep going, and then the video will jump a second or two ahead to sync back up with the audio. It seems to happen with most videos Im streaming and I don't see why it's doing it. I don't think it's a buffering thing either, the whole video can be loaded up and it still does this.

And it only happens with streaming videos on websites, anything I watch with like VLC/BS Player/etc. works fine.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC
Default Re: Could my cpu/motherboard just be getting old?

Perhaps it has something to do with the "Flash Player" you are using. Try uninstalling the current one you have and reinstalling the newest version. (Don't just install a new one first. Uninstall the current one, then install the new one.)

Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

hmm, that may have helped. So far so good it seems, thanks.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Ok I guess that didn't fix it. I still get the problem from time to time.

Sorry about the Double Post too, I didn't see the edit button in my previous message.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Try updating any video or audio drivers for your computer. I used to have the same problems with laggy streaming. But then I updated some things and it fixed it.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 03-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Oh I have a question about that. Do I have to uninstall my audio/video drives (Whatever Im updating) and THEN install the new ones, or can I just install the update.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

You'll want to uninstall the old ones first. Just go into Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.

"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 03-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Son of a birch tree. It seems like it's still doing it. I don't think my sound card has any new updates, it's kinda old. But I did get updated drivers for my video card. It kinda seems like it's doing it less, but it'll occasionally still do it.

And I don't know if this helps anyone figure this out, but last night I was watching 2 videos (2 different videos) in two different windows at the same time and the video would stop for a second or two at the same time, and then continue at the same time. I thought it was kinda odd.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Or it could just be your internet. This might sound odd, but is there a bios update for your motherboard? Sometimes that could fix something like this. You could just use Winflash within Windows, it's pretty easy.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Ok I got my motherboard name from Everest, "Asus PTGD1-LA" I've looked around a little and found an update, but it's from back in 2005. Do you know if there's a newer update then that?

Closed Thread