Corsair XMS3 is restarting machine if any BIOS options are manually set

Status
Not open for further replies.

plunx

Beta member
First of all the motherboard that I'm using is an ASUS P5KC. I've been using a pair of Patriot 2 x 2GB PC1333 sticks for a while but one went out, so a friend of mine loaned me two of his 2GB PC1600 sticks to use until I get mine sent back from Patriot. My motherboard doesn't support PC1600 memory, but I've read that it will automatically 'underclock' it to PC1333, which is what my board uses.

With the pair of Patriots I had before, I could set my e6850's bus speed to 500 with a multiplier of 7.0 (still using a 1333MHz memory speed) and get ~3.5GHz with no problems, even with latencies lowered and other things changed)

I noticed that this RAM is set to run at 9-9-9-24 at 1.65v, but in my BIOS I don't have the options to set it to that amount manually (it goes in steps, 1.5v, 1.6v, 1.7v, etc.) so I have it set it auto. I actually have EVERYTHING IN MY BIOS set to auto, otherwise my computer restarts when Windows begins to load. Anyway, I noticed that with my old Patriot RAM, my motherboard would default the RAM at PC1066 at 1.6v (which was incorrect, it was PC1333 RAM that ran at 1.7v). Once I manually changed the volts for the Patriot RAM to 1.7v, it gave me the option for "1333MHz".

With this pair of Corsair XMS3 RAM, I'm forced to use default settings otherwise my computer completely restarts upon entering Windows. Anything I try to change, my bus speed, any of the RAM settings, anything at all, the system restarts as soon as Windows prepares to load. And I'm talking not just memory settings, ANY settings involving the CPU, FSB, or voltage.

I've reset my BIOS and tried it like that as well with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? Could it be because I'm using PC1600 RAM instead of PC1333 RAM? I'm still running the PC1600 RAM at 1333MHz, so I don't see what the problem would be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hmm, lets look at it from another angle shall we ?
First what bios version are you using right now, if you haven't updated since you first built your pc or installed other hardware.
Look into getting a stable bios between the dates of september 2010 - january 2011 and look at the manufacturers notes on the site and make sure they note something bout some major bugs or fixes.

Even when you adjust your cpu fsb speed and dram timings it should not give you too much of a problem.
If it did, it will simply refuse to boot like mine does for 2 minutes, and put itself right back at default levels.
Last try to bring the ram speed down to 1280mhz and see what happens with your temporary ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom