Corrupted MBR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax

Daemon Poster
Anyone know how to fix this problem? I've run a chkdsk on my hard drive, but that didn't fix it.

Whenever I start up my computer, the XP welcome screen stays up for a couple minutes, then my background pops up, then it doesn't do anything.

I can start the computer in safe mode. My brother thinks its a corrupted MBR or something. I havent done anything to bring this on, except I took out my motherboard to change some screws, and that's it. Plugged everything back in exactly the same.

Re:

Hello,

It's not a corrupted Master Boot Record...because you're system has detected your OS already after POST, and has managed to boot Windows successfully.

The problem you're having is that Windows is having difficulties loading the desktop (...user account).

Because you can boot into safe mode, and because processes startup first, I think there's a high chance that a process or service loadng at startup is causing the problem.

But you've also removed and replaced your motherboard. Check to see that all your components are securely plugged into the motherboard.

Yeah they all are. What would be the main component that could be causing it? The hard drive? Because if it is, then I might change that SATA cable and put a SATA power cable to a molex convertor to see if that changes anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom