copy 6 gb iso to 2 usb of 4 gb

goldyc

Baseband Member
Hi there,
I have a 6 gb iso that i wanna write to 2 USB's that i have cos that's what are available and i dont have a dvd r/w.Help please.

Some other way of using iso may also be appreciated.

7-Zip has the ability to split a file, then combine it again. I'm sure most other compression software such as Winzip probably have this feature as well. I have never tried splitting an 8GB file before so I don't know if 7-Zip can handle a file that large but you could certainly try it.

An ISO is already compressed so 7-zip won't be able to compress it much, if any. On top of that, I'm sure there is overhead so if the file is truly 8GB, splitting it in 2 will probably result in 2 files larger than 4GB. You may need to split it into 3 parts.

7-Zip

Last edited:
7-Zip has the ability to split a file, then combine it again. I'm sure most other compression software such as Winzip probably have this feature as well. I have never tried splitting an 8GB file before so I don't know if 7-Zip can handle a file that large but you could certainly try it.

I'm sure there is overhead so if the file is truly 8GB, splitting it in2 will probably result in a file larger than 4GB. You may need to split it into 3 parts.

7-Zip
That is actually a really good suggestion. 8GB is well within splitting reason.
My suggestion would be to find out the exact size in KB of the ISO (eg - 8GB exactly is 8,388,608 KB), because 7zip requires to specify the number of bytes PER volume (archive).

If you wanted to split and exactly 8GB into 2 files, you would put in the bytes number "4,294,967,296". That is the number of bytes in 8GB divided by the number of files (2).

Remember that 1024 bytes = 1KB

To bring them back together, simply put the two files into the same folder on the destination drive, then extract.

It's not necessary to worry about getting the exact number of bytes correct. 7-Zip will allow you to specify any number you want and it will split into as many parts as it needs. The last file it creates may be smaller since it just puts whatever is left over into it.

For instance, I just split a 3.7GB zip file and specified CD sized (dual layer) files. It created 4 files of 717MB and 1 file of 499MB.

Last edited:
That's what I was going to suggest, as WinRAR does this too and it's not specific.

Depending on what it is, the OP can also just make 2 separate ISOs out of the main one.

thanks for the suggestion guys i created a virtual drive and now the problem is saved and it was a video game with size 6 gb not 8 gb.

and splitting is i think not an option cos i have to extract the file to 2 usb,'s

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom