Cooler Master PSU - won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojojamo

Solid State Member
Hey everyone - I'm just putting together my first gaming rig and I think it's pretty heavy on power usage. However, my 650 watt Cooler Master PSU doesn't seem to be giving it enough power the way I have it set up.

When I power it up, a few components light up on the motherboard, as well as the lcd poster, and the 250mm fan tries to start, but dies out immediately.

The PSU has a lot of extra cables not plugged into anything as I've already connected the 8- and 24-pin power connectors on the Asus Maximus II mobo, the 2 6-pins to my geforce 9800 gtx, dvd and HDD drives are connected as well as all the fans in my Lian-Li ATX case. I basically can't find anything else to connect the PSU to, so I'm not sure why I'm not getting the right amount of power.

A couple variables that may or may not be relevant: a lot of how-tos say you need to set the voltage on the PSU, but the Cooler Master does not appear to have any kind of switches on it's exterior.

Despite the fact that my mobo and case are both ATX form factor, it wasn't exactly a perfect fit. As such, I was forced to leave out some of the screws because they couldn't reach the plating to be secured and/or caused all the USB, etc. ports to be misaligned with the back of the case. I noticed that some of the screw holes are surrounded by bits of metal - do they require a screw to complete a circuit or something (maybe a stupid question, but I'm pretty new at this).

Any help I can get on this topic would be great ... here's a link to another thread where I set up the whole system, in case more specs are needed: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/will-work-193395/index2.html Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom