constnat reboot after reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

X2Xtreme360

In Runtime
Well, I'm an idiot. I was working with a program that needed to alter my explorer file and ended up corruptiong (or just simply deleted) the explorer.exe file. Now you all know how that goes, no explorer, no windows. Well I just decided to backup everything on a serperate partition and reinstall XP.

After the reinstall, everything is fine... but stupid me decided to mess with the explorer file again, thinking I screwed up the first time. Well, explorer ended up still there, but corrupted. No big deal, just have to reinstall again.

I reinstalled a 3rd time, and then a 4th. Reason for the 4th time is because on both the 3rd and 4th attempts, after I reinstalled XP, I get to the logon screen and the computer reboots. What I mean by that is the PC reboots after I TRY to logon. It says "loading your personal settings, yada, yada, yada" then POOF. Of course if I'm not in the room it would reboot constantly if the PC is set to auto login. What could the problem be? The disk always worked fine before, and I didn't do anything to it.

try booting to safe mode.

if it still wont boot in safe mode, possibility of a corrupt install

and you haven't installed anything?

safe mode just loads windows in a fail-safe minimal mode.
basic drivers, no network support (unless specified) and no start up.

check your start-up using msconfig

beyond that, I dont know why it'd do that on a fresh install

Nvm I just installed pro instead. I have no idea why my home disk was doing that. Lucky for me I get free software because of college, so I downloaded pro off there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom