Constant Rebooting - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Constant Rebooting

My actual problem is that I was distracted when putting the CPU back in, and I put it in UPSIDE DOWN!!!..So i got the silver nitrate(arctic silver), inside the pins on the mobo.(Socket 775)...
Anyone ever done this, know how to get this gunk out so the mobo will boot up now?

I can give the long story if anyone wants. But short story is.
My PC one day decided to start rebooting. I would turn it on, no beeps, it would start, monitor would NOT come on, and it would turn after after like 3seconds. Wait 1sec...then turn back on. Over and Over and Over until I pulled the power.
Checked PSU, same. Checked Vid card, same. Thought i checked ram. Thought it was the MOBO so i bought a new one...Did similiarly the same thing, but BEEPED at me this time.

I haven't actually completely resolved this, but I THINK it's the RAM now. Make sense?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Constant Rebooting

could be ram, it would cause probs like that but also could be the cpu which has been for me constant reboots
unplug the cpu and see if its doing the same thing if it does could be cpu

best way to get the gunk out would be the artic silver cleaner, it works great but u will need to be very precise, well since its 775 it should be alot easier lol

Video Card : asus ati 4890
Hdd: 250gb wd 7200 sata, 160gb seagate 7200 sata
Moniter: western digital 19" 5ms
Psu-OCz 700watt modxstream
watercooled cpu
custom antec case
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I do believe you can buy little pins with a safe cleaning solution on the end to clean out the cpu slot holes as it happened to me once & took a few hours to get it all out for the cpu to actually work again, thats when someone on a net forum mentioned the pins, but yet to find any.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg View Post
My actual problem is that I was distracted when putting the CPU back in, and I put it in UPSIDE DOWN!!!..So i got the silver nitrate(arctic silver), inside the pins on the mobo.(Socket 775)...
Anyone ever done this, know how to get this gunk out so the mobo will boot up now?

I can give the long story if anyone wants. But short story is.
My PC one day decided to start rebooting. I would turn it on, no beeps, it would start, monitor would NOT come on, and it would turn after after like 3seconds. Wait 1sec...then turn back on. Over and Over and Over until I pulled the power.
Checked PSU, same. Checked Vid card, same. Thought i checked ram. Thought it was the MOBO so i bought a new one...Did similiarly the same thing, but BEEPED at me this time.

I haven't actually completely resolved this, but I THINK it's the RAM now. Make sense?

had the same problem.. it's the RAM.. i had to pull it out and reinsert it making sure the pins got properly connected..
Old 10-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha1133 View Post
had the same problem.. it's the RAM.. i had to pull it out and reinsert it making sure the pins got properly connected..
So, you're 100% positive that the arctic silver on the pins couldn't be the problem? Power supply couldn't be powerful enough?

OP : What are the FULL specs of the computer in question?
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BlackGA View Post
So, you're 100% positive that the arctic silver on the pins couldn't be the problem? Power supply couldn't be powerful enough?

OP : What are the FULL specs of the computer in question?
Did i say i'm 100%sure?.. I said it was the RAM, that i had pull it out and put it back..

Closed Thread