Confused, Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Method

In Runtime
Right so the situation is I ordered a new GPU and set of RAM. A nVidia 560 and 8GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM.

I replaced my old card, and installed the RAM. PC booted fine, installed graphic drivers, restarted, pc booted fine, warned me overclock couldnt be completed or wouldnt work (obviously as the RAM had been replaced), so I selected an option to reset to manual/original timings/settings for something (sorry cant remember exactly). As the old RAM timings would be 5 5 5 12, and the new ones being something like 9 9 9 27.

PC booted, the CPU was back to its stock 2.4GHz. Did some updates, restarted my PC a third time and then it just wouldnt boot.

It just hangs on a blank screen with an orange standby light on the monitor.

Now I thought this ment the GPU was faulty, so I reverted back to my old one, no luck.

I took the DDR3 out and put the old DDDR2 back in, it booted, put the new card back in paired with the DDR2 it booted and I enjoyed a long gaming session on it.

But now, this morning its hanging on a blank screen with the orange standby light again, and I am totally stumped.

Any help or suggestions?
Did I fry my DDR3 somehow? I dont understand how it would all function fine for 3 boot ups and then randomly not boot unless I stuck the DDR2 back in.

And why did it work flawlessly for hours on end with the new card and old RAM, only to not boot and do the standby thing again this morning?

Does this sound like a PSU problem? I checked to make sure I had enough AMPs on the 12V to run the new card, it needed something like 38 and I have 3 rails at 18a for a total of 54amps on the 12V. And if it was a PSU problem, why did it boot multiple times and run flawlessly for hours on end only to not work today?

This is my PSU: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2793#sp
This is the GPU: http://www.ebuyer.com/267731-asus-g...dvi-mini-hdmi-pci-e-engtx560-dcii-oc-2di-1gd5

You only have 42amps on the +12v, on multi rail psu you can't just add up the rails to get total amps, doesn't work that way.

If you put back your old parts in again, will it boot up?

Ahhh.

So you think the PSU is being strained a bit seeing as the GPU alone requires 38amps? Only leaving another 4amps for everything else? Its just wierd as it functioned fine for a very long session of gaming until I turned it back on this morning.

Im at work but will put my 7600GT back in today and check it out, but I have already tested it.

My trial and error phase went like this:

560 + DDR3 - Booted for a few times, then wouldnt boot after 3rd restart after resetting RAM timings to default
7600GT + DDR3 - No boot
7600GT + DDR2 - Boot
560 + DDR2 - Boot
Long gaming session, bed, wake up, wont boot.

The thing is it didnt boot with the 7600GT and DDR3, unless the RAM wasnt seated properly?

CPU, GPU and Case fans are all powering up. I cant remember if the mouse and keyboard were, will check when home (in about an hour or so).

Appreciate the help by the way.

For the ddr3 ram, it might just be the ram timings or voltages that aren't set properly. You said it worked at the beginning until you reset the ram to default.

The gtx 560 will probably use 17amps max even when overclocked and I'm sure your whole system is using only about 30 amps.

Are you sure about the PSU? Im not the best when it comes to how exactly the 12V and amps work. A review of my exact card said it required 38a on the 12V.

But anyway, right, so how would I go about setting the voltages correctly and ram timings? Because, I cant get past a black screen with an orange standby light, nothing. Where can I find the correct voltages for my RAM?

There was a warning that the overclock could not be completed when I first booted with 560 and DDR3 in. But the thing is with the RAM timings not being correct, when the 560 and DDR3 were in, I reset the timings to default so it would correct from the DDR2 timings to the new DDR3 timings. Then it wouldnt boot, and even with the 7600GT and DDR3 it wouldnt boot. It would only boot with the DDR2 in. Unless it reset the default timings to something else or mobo related?

Try pulling out the cmos battery(small looking watch type battery), this way it can clear the bios. Next put in your video card and ddr3 ram.

I'm sure about the power on the card, even a gtx590(~32amps) doesn't use 38amps.

I took the DDR3 out and put the old DDDR2 back in
:omg:

DDR2 and DDR3 are NOT compatible and are NOT interchangeable. And there are only a very few "crossover" motherboards that support both, and none that I know of that support both at the same time.

What is the brand and model number of your motherboard?

his motherboard takes both DDR2 and DDR3, just gotta put them in the right slot.

I'd look into setting your DDR3 settings manually, since you said it booted 2 times before resetting to default.

his motherboard takes both DDR2 and DDR3, just gotta put them in the right slot.
Did I miss where the make and model were mentioned, or are we just assuming this computer is the same as listed in specs? Do we know this is not a friend's, or family member's computer? That's why I don't pay attention to a member's listed specs - unless stated, there's no way to know what we are looking at.

But to that, of the two hybrid boards I've seen, you could use either DDR2 OR DDR3, not both at once. And a quick look at that board's manual on page 2-14 reveals,
You can only install either DDR2 modules(s) or DDR3 modules(s)on the motherboard; otherwise, the system will not boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom