Computers won't boot with external usb drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphc

Beta member
Hello all,
Sure could use some help. Here is the problem.
Computer #1 is a XP sp2. 4 year old dual Pentium. 4 gigs ram. 2 internal hdds. 1 external WD My Book 500 gig, 1 external 1.5 tb Maxtor configured raid 1 and usually a 150 gb WD passport. I do not let the system run 24/7. When I start it up it will get past the initial startup screen the freeze. I have to shut the Maxtor drive off then reboot. I then turn the Maxtor back on with no more problems unless I have to reboot. The other external hdds do not cause the same problem. At first I thought it had to do with the Maxtor being configured for raid. Now I don't know.

Comtuter#2 as a Vista Ultimate Duo core 6400. 4 Gig ram, 2 internal hdds, 1 external WD My Book 500 gig, WDD passport. The problem started when I added a second 500 gig WD. Same problem as above. If I forget to disconnect the second HDD before rebooting the system locks up after the initial screen.
The only hardware these machines have in common is the Passport Hdd. It doesn't matter if it is plugged in or not.
Any ideas?
Ralph

I have that external hard drive. While you think the system locks up while loading Windows, it does not, it just goes black for a good few minutes, then loads up the log on screen. I only have one of the My Books though, the 250gb one.

The MY Book is on the Vista system. It won't boot. If I leave it long enough I get Vista telling me I have a problem and it will try to fix it. To no avail. I just have to shut the machine off, unplug the WD and restart then plug it back in. The Xp machine is having a problem with a Maxtor. It has a WD attached but this does not cause a problem.
Ralph

I have Vista Business, it can boot with the My Book plugged in, it just takes about 4 minutes (compared to less than a minute usually). To get this far i changed a USB setting in the bios.

The thing that has me confused is that the system already had a MY Book 500 gig on it. The problem didn't show up until I added the second one.
Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom