Computer won't wake up from sleep??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Computer won't wake up from sleep???

I leave my computer on all the time. Lately, when I go to use it (and I move the mouse or tap a key on the keyboard) nothing happens. I can't wake up the computer no matter what I do. The only way to get back to normal is to do a force power off, wait for a minute or two then power on. If I power on right away after powering off, I hear the floppy drive make an abnormal noise but nothing comes up.

This computer is about less than a year old, running windows xp sp3, an AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 4400+, 2.3GHz with 2Gb ram.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: Computer won't wake up from sleep???

Is there none among us that can shed some light on this for me? I will probably open it up and give it a good cleaning for starters but it never seems to fail when I am using the computer, only when I leave it alone for an extended amount of time.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Computer won't wake up from sleep???

Right clickon desktop and select Properties. There click on the screensaver tab. Go under the power options. How do you have it set. If you have it set so that the hard drives get turned of after 20 or 30 minutes just a single tap to the power button should turn the PC back on. That is the hibernation feature.

If you dont wish to have that just have your system go into low power standby after 20 minutes and leave your hard drives on.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread