computer won't turn off - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to Slayer
Default computer won't turn off

I have a computer that is a few years old. after moving it, it won't turn off. it will go through the shutdown process, and power down for maybe half a second, than come back on. at first i figured it had to do with one of the cables connecting the front power button to the motherboard, but i checked those and it was fine. any ideas on why this is happening?

Old 12-02-2006, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Check your drive for malware spyware viruses this may not be the problem but you wouldn't be out anything checking this.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm not sure if this works both ways...but working for a non-profit computer building organization we've had problems where on power up the computer passes post and moves on to loading windows only to reboot itself and try again in a never ending cycle. We've come to find that if we re-seat the RAM the problem is fixed. Now, I seriously doubt that would fix your problem but it's worth a shot.
Closed Thread