Computer won't turn on, help greatly appreciated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooodo

Beta member
Hey all, thanks in advance for the great community opinions that yall give

I'm in dire need of some advice/help at the moment.

My friends computer (that I am trying to fix), is an older sckt 775 system just ran into problems today. After turning it on one day it just wouldn't turn on, or died after boot (during windows load) and then turned off. As my friend persisted in pressing, jamming, and holding the power switch on his case it eventually stopped going as far as the previous attempt (in terms of how far along the comp had turned on) and stopped turning on at all, which is what is going on now.

Now initially I had thought the switch on the case had become loose, however I tried jump starting the comp by shorting the power switch pins on the board but its not turning on. The green LED on the mobo is ON, which means the powersupply is connected and working but after that, nothing. No fans start spinning, nothing.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Since the light is on, on the mobo, that should mean the board and ps are working right? What else could it possibly be?

Any ideas, please,
thanks in advance!!!

EDIT: I've bought a new power supply online and the buyer guaranteed that it is working. however my computer still won't start but i still get the green light.

btw i've gotten lazy setting up the entire system so the entire time i've been testing this all i have is the power cord plugged into the psu and pressing the power button. it should still turn on if it was working right? (the fans would be spinning)

so yea, what could the psu technically take out? is my cpu, ram, video card still good?

also, this motherboard has a 24pin power connector however when i opened it up the power supply only had a 20pin and 4 pins were unused. theres also the 2x2 power that goes left of the cpu socket and this other "auxilary" have i been plugging it in correctly?

thanks again in advance!!!

as far as i know you need all 24 pins, and the 4 pin connected to the 4 pin on the mobo this is called CPU power. you can buy an adapter for that for like $5. the reason the led is probably on is because those basically run on nothing, especially a 5mm or smaller LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom