Computer won't turn on, HELP!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenandjenny

Beta member
Hi, my computer won't turn on. It's weird, i've tried to diagnoise it, but can not come to a conclusion of where the fault is.

I have been usin my self built amd dualcore/asus mobo computer for several months now. Works perfectly very stable with no problem.

The other day when i was usiny my computer, i suddenly smelt this burning smell from my comp, it immeadietly turned it off. I looked inside, couldn't see where was wrong, so turned it back on. A while later the smell came back, then my comp just shuts off, and will not turn on again(no twitch wat so ever when i press the power switch).

I opend the case and had a look inside, the onboard fans seem to twitch for a second when i press the power switch, but thats about it.

I suspected it was PSU problem. I had a new skyhalk 500W psu lying around so i plugged it in. Same deal as before, but however this time, the fans(cpu, mobo, vidcard) will spin up fine as long as the power is not plugged into my SATA hd. As soon as power is connected to my SATA hd, nothing moves at all as before(when i press power switch ).

So i go pull out a old ATA hd from my other comp, and plug it into this dead comp, now everything spins up, but still i can not get my bios/mobo screen to load up(monitor no signal).

Can anyone suggest what possibly could be wrong? is there a chance that the mobo or cpu is dead? but why would they just die for no reason, i mean if it always has been working really well and i have never touched the hardware since to cause any faults.

Any help greatly appreciated, i seriously dunno where to go from here now,

Never heard of Skyhawk, which means it's GARBAGE. Yes, 9 chances out of 10, it is your PSU, and I would replace it as soon as possible, because it can (if it hasn't already) fry your other parts.

Get a quality brand name PSU.

1. What was you PSU wattage on the "fryed" computer? Do you think you were near the threshold of power needed?

2. Was your previous PSU a Skyhawk?

Y'know i had a very similar problem, my computer would just randomly turn off, i opened my computer up the check for dust in the fans and smelt a buring smell coming from the power supply, i changed it and it worked fine

after it shuts off, wait for it to cool down for about 10 mins, and then you can turn it back on, leave it on with the case open, and try to find what hardwares hottest...then change it. Hope that helps

Might not be the PSU. Dead systems need a calculated eval. Pull everything off that mobo except 1 stick of mem, video and CPU/heatsink + fan. Power the puter on. Make sure to check the LED's on your keyboard (that they flash) and hopefully you can get past the post to the Bios screen. If nothing powers on and no fans spin: The CPU or Mobo is the likely culprit (given that the PSU is good.....if you switch out your current psu with one you know works regardless of the wattage). What happened? IF you get to the bios screen start adding componnets until your system fails. Frankly, I think your CPU is the primary culprit and you mobo is second in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom