Computer won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
The store I work at has a computer they use for company e-mails and whatnot.
When I went in yesterday one of the managers told me it wasn't turning on and he though the PSU was dead.
They already ordered a new one, and I'll probably have first dibs on it to cannibalize, but wanted some opinions.

All the connections are secure, but when you push the power button it doesn't turn on.
I sniffed the PSU and it doesn't have that electrical short kind of smell.
But there is a really high pitch tone coming from the PSU (or at least I believe from the PSU), almost too high to hear.

I'm going to cannibalize it anyway, just trying to figure out if it is the PSU or not.
If I bring in a spare PSU then I can DBAN the HDD and take it too, otherwise they will destroy it (sensitive info).
Would rather get it with the HDD as that is the most useful component to me.

No, it literally was sitting in the same place for 4 years one it was installed, figured not much could move around.

Kind of a moot point now though thanks to the efficient inefficiency of major corporations.
The new computer arrived today and since none of the information on the old one's HDD was backed up we have to send it back so they can get everything off the drive.
Yes, sending back the entire computer instead of just pulling the HDD and sending that, or having a backup protocol in place to begin with.

what buying a $100 external HDD and then storing all files on it and encrypting the drive is too expensive?? Answer that? There are many free encryption programs out there. Truecrypt is one of many but it is by far more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom