Computer won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnes

Beta member
hello I just signed up. I hope this is an active forum because I don't have a lot of time to fix this problem as I am going away soon.

I am posting on a laptop right now, but less than 4 hours ago I was on my computer. I took an hour nap and woke up and it was turned off. Usually it just turns itself to sleep mode and you hit the pwr button an it loads back up...

Well it didn't load back up it was off. There was an electricial smell so I unplugged it and checked around. The power supply felt very warm but other than that everything seemed fine.

It does not boot up at all. I press the power button and the fan lights blink for half a second, the side an top fans spin for half a second, an it turns off. No sounds or anything.

I tried pluggig it into a different outlet, same thing.

Please help why did this happen? My computer is cooled properly and the temps are always good to my knowledge

What temps are you getting? I do not think this is heat issue.

Try turning off your PSU or pulling the plug, pressing the power button to release any charge. Put it back the way it was and press the power button.

If nothing works, disconnect and reconnect everything internally. Look for anything out of place, blown capacitors, charring on anything.

What temps are you getting? I do not think this is heat issue.

Try turning off your PSU or pulling the plug, pressing the power button to release any charge. Put it back the way it was and press the power button.

If nothing works, disconnect and reconnect everything internally. Look for anything out of place, blown capacitors, charring on anything.
hi what do you mean turn off your power supply? My computer is off right now and I turned off the black switch at the back on the power supply a few times.

I don't know my temps too well off hand I have not checked in a while. I think stable computer was around 45-55 range. Gaming WoW was maybe 60s, gaming CS & WoW + many programs open was only mid 60s.

The cables that go into my power supply coil into a circular hole at the back. So I might have to unscrew it and then open it up or something I don't know.

It could be the power supply that went out.

Test it using this method:
-Unplug the power supply from the outlet
-Unplug everything connected to the power supply, except the case fans.
-Take a paper clip and bend into a U shape
-Stick one end into the green connector or pin of the main 20/24-pin power connector, and stick the other end into any black connector or pin. Also on the main 20/24-pin power connector.
-Plug the PSU into the outlet and turn on the switch

If the fans do not spin, then the power supply is faulty.

hi thanks for your response I don't have any paperclips though is there another way I can try this.

also I don't see anything charred or damaged.

Just because a 12v fan spins that does not mean the power supply is good. The power supply also has to produce 3.3v & 5v, and they are from a different circuit inside the PS.

You said there was an electrical smell. While the smell may not be as strong now as it was, you should still be able to smell it if you get close enough. Find the smell and you've found your problem.

is it safe to try to turn it on again today without maybe damaging other stuff?

It's been off for a day now so no smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom