Computer wont turn on - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Gizzard1200 Send a message via Yahoo to Gizzard1200
Exclamation Computer wont turn on

Ok well I have a biostar mainboard. It is only like 2-3 years old. I just installed a wireless card. After installing the wireless card my computer would not turn after i hit the power button just once it takes multiple presses to get it to turn on. It also would not send a video signal to the monitor after installing the card although after starting and restarting eventually I could get the video signal. Now it will not even display the bios for the video card like it always did when I turned on the computer. But yes is it a bad video card or bad mainboard? The video card is a geforce 6600 256mb pci-e. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Computer wont turn on

The reason why a computer would not turn on would usually be associated with a problem with the power supply or wiring. What kind of power supply you got? What all you got hooked up to that power supply?

Old 10-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well everything powers on and I did unhook all the fans and cd rom drive to see that it was not the power supply and its a 450w standard power supply everything with the power supply is fine I think especially because the graphics card fan powers up and all but I still just dont get a video signal.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Patron

sounds like insufficient power just because the fans spins doesn't mean all the channels are working fully. If its a generic power supply then it was probably built especially for your system configuration for minimal costs to the retailer and so adding anything can easily push it over its limit
Old 10-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Take the wireless card back out and try it again. It sounds like a conflict witch is almost unheard of with newer operating systems but not impossible. What kind of wireless card are you trying to install?
Old 10-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

it is a pci wireless card im not sure of the brand name although it was only like 14 dollars. I did already try taking it out and trying it again but no luck. The OS is just Windows XP home or pro I cant remember. The computer will still not send a video signal out to the monitor.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok the power supply is probably a generic brand but I built the machine myself and everything is powering up. The graphics card just wont send a signal to the monitor. The hard drive is spinning the cd rom drive opens and closes and I can hear the CPU loading the OS. I just have no video on it and I think it may be a bad video card. Any help would be greatly appreciated but in the mean time I do have 4 extra computers so still being able to get things done is no problem but I do miss my computer.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Patron

your power supply may of shorted and sent an overcharge along the dedicated rail to the video card it isn't rare thing to occur. Get a new psu I recommend a corsair 520hx and a new gfx card